Sign in to follow this  

fork rebuild

Hey guys, Im going to attempt to change the fork seals myself on my 09 kx250f, Ive seen a few videos on youtube and it looks pretty straight forward but just thought id check with you guys to see if theres any tricky bits or anything I need to look out out or do ??

And do you guys change just the oil seals or would it be worth getting a new bushing set the same time? and any particular make seals to use?

Any comments appreciated :bonk:

You tube videos are a great source of entertainment. There are a couple that almost have accurate information.

Great write up Dk, ill be sure to order the seals, wipers and busing kit after seeing the wear on some of your parts.

Thanks for taking your time to do such a good write up in the first place it really helps guys like myself who are quite new to doing these things and saves us a few $$$ by doing it ourself :bonk:

Great write up Dk, ill be sure to order the seals, wipers and busing kit after seeing the wear on some of your parts.

Thanks for taking your time to do such a good write up in the first place it really helps guys like myself who are quite new to doing these things and saves us a few $$$ by doing it ourself :bonk:

You are welcome.

remember to buy the oem bushing and the skf seal or oem seal if you want the best quality work. for oil showa red , maxima , kyba or ohlins are good dont use cheaper oil !

Agreed! I would stick with OEM, or if you want to spend a little more, the SKF seals. Also use OEM bushings.

As for the fork oil, I like the Maxima 5 wt RACING fork oil (comes with a blue label). Make sure you go ahead and change out the inner fork oil too!

I would use some fork seal grease as well. I find that it helps my seals last a lot longer compared to not using fork seal grease. I recommend Slickoleum (www.slickoleum.com) for fork seal grease.

Also clean everything well. You can use brake cleaner (just don't spray it directly on any seals or o-rings). Maxima also sells suspension-specific cleaner.

The tutorial posted by D-K is excellent and is the one I used a while back.

Make sure you do a good job bleeding the inner chambers on the fork.

Agreed! I would stick with OEM, or if you want to spend a little more, the SKF seals. Also use OEM bushings.

As for the fork oil, I like the Maxima 5 wt RACING fork oil (comes with a blue label). Make sure you go ahead and change out the inner fork oil too!

I would use some fork seal grease as well. I find that it helps my seals last a lot longer compared to not using fork seal grease. I recommend Slickoleum (www.slickoleum.com) for fork seal grease.

Also clean everything well. You can use brake cleaner (just don't spray it directly on any seals or o-rings). Maxima also sells suspension-specific cleaner.

The tutorial posted by D-K is excellent and is the one I used a while back.

Make sure you do a good job bleeding the inner chambers on the fork.

Thanks for all the help guys, ive ordered oem seals and bushing kit from kawi, ill have a shot at doing them after christmas and let you know how I got on :bonk: