Sign in to follow this  

Fine tuning questions on new jetting...

I have an 07 crf250x

It had 130main and 42pilot

I went to a 152main, 45pilot and a Moose air/fuel screw 1/2 turn out.

Airbox, baffle and pink wire mods were done.

Temp is 40-60

Altitude is 800'-1050'

Light humidity, ATL Ga

Woods riding only

The bike rips mid-top now (I'm really surprised) but off idle just below mid it seems to be a bit weak, doesn't snap as hard as mid-top, something just doesn't seem to be hitting right its a mild bog I guess you could say.

My question is, is this my pilot, my air-screw, or a combo of both? Which do you think is off and what needs to be done? When I adjust the air/fuel screw, I'm having to adjust my idle in and out to smooth it out, is this normal? Should I try the 42pilot? I jujst want the snap off idle like the mid-top is

I haven't, Sun mate! Since I don't know or feel 100% with jetting, I'm not sure I have it dialed perfect yet. I rode again today and played w/ the air screw and got to thinking did I do everything I could've with the jetting? Your right, I guess I really won't be able to tell til the 13/51 is added to the shelf:bonk:

PS: Can't seem to get away from naggin bit.hes ayy?? Everywhere I turn, if it isn't her, its some miserable grinch that doesn't have a dirtbike, just likes to get on here and nag:smirk:

Go up on the main at least one more but I would leave it alone till you get the exhaust tip on. It will change. 1/2 turn out is not very much on the screw. Most work best at least 1 1/2. Mine works best at 2 out.

what size is your pilot? See ive got a 45 on now, thats why 1/2 is working good. If i had a 42 i'm sure it would be at 1.5-2. I tried it at 2, then 1.5 and it was ok, but when i went down to .5, the bike seem to rip alot better, big notice in the way it was putting out power:ride:

Alright, ill wait and try a bigger one. Gonna see what it feels like when i get the new gearing on mon. I rode again lastnight and it was warm and raining. The bike was stalling at 1/2 turn if I let off the gas. Put it at 1.5 and it ran great again. Seems a bit touchy from weather change.

one thing i did to get my pilot and fuel screw right was to set it so the bike cranks very quickly when warm. I mean that when you hit the e start it doesn't spin the motor over a time or 2 it just fires up, you don't hardly even hear the starter engage.

I noticed the same thing. Once the new jetting and air/fuel screw was in and adjusted right, it would start up instantly, I was actually very surprised how much better and faster it starts. You kick start it and its like half a kick and it fires right up! :bonk:Love it bc my baterry sucks for cold weather cranking. I got a new one for Xmas, so Sun well see how well the new one starts in this cokd weather, and with the new jetting!

Invest in a $12 battery maintainer and keep your bike plugged in. My 06 is still on the original battery and can honestly say I've never kicked my X to start it, ever (now my battery will dies next ride )

Is that the little battery charger? Because I have one and charge my battery once every 2 weeks or so.... Doesn't do much good in this cold weather, so I got one that's supposed to have alot stronger cold cranking amps. well see Sun when I get it how good it works. I think I just have a cheap battery on there now. Bike starts in half a kick, but that battery just isn't strong enough to get it eight off the bat in this cold, it takes a min.... What are your thoughts?:bonk:

Is that the little battery charger? Because I have one and charge my battery once every 2 weeks or so.... Doesn't do much good in this cold weather, so I got one that's supposed to have alot stronger cold cranking amps. well see Sun when I get it how good it works. I think I just have a cheap battery on there now. Bike starts in half a kick, but that battery just isn't strong enough to get it eight off the bat in this cold, it takes a min.... What are your thoughts?:bonk:

Well my thoughts are get that nagging mrs of urs to give you a push start:smirk:

I bought a batery from Wal Mart. It works great and saved some money. I notice that every now and then put the battery charger on it and get a full charge and it does better and last longer. I hear that chargers the charge above a 2 amp rate shorten the life of the battery, you want one that charges at a rate below 2 amps. maybe someone can give the real facts.

If you have trouble starting after turning cold open the fuel screw more that's what a easy adjustable screw is for.