Sign in to follow this  

Pro Wheels VS Excel Wheels

Haven't found any specific info regarding the two against each other. In the Tucker Rocky catalog, Excel are twice as expensive as Pro. They are both made from a 7000 series alloy, but are the Pro wheels really bad. Want to put black ones on son's yz250f.

Years ago the Pro Wheels were not that good. The current generation of Pro Wheel rims are very good in my opinion. I have used 4 sets of them and abused the crap out of them and never had a problem. I ran 20 minutes in a moto with a flat back tire on one and it held up remarkably well. It did get a little dinged and scratched to hell, it didn't crack or anything. I'v had plenty of Excels, and they are great rims, but I think the new Pro Wheels are a better bang for your buck.

i have a set of pro-wheels in black on my kx125 and they have witihstood a pretty decent beating. They have a few scratches, but that's mainly my fault hitting big stuff or crashing heh.

Excel rims are great, but they also require excel spokes, where as pro wheel rims can use stock spokes (if they are in good condition, obviously)

If you are talking complete wheel sets be careful with excel. They stopped manufacturing the first generation wheel set carrier rings, Honda rings went first the rest will follow, and users will be stuck with nice wheels with no carriers. Can't use the wheels can't sell them. $ down the drain. I don't see this happening with the newer excel completes for a while. But history repeats. Too bad because rkexcel customer services great, they need to support the product.

Thanks for the reply. Called my local shop which give my son 20% off parts and ordered a set of Pro Wheels. Then asked for a quote on labor to tear apart and re-lace the new stuff. Quote came to $350, just for the labor. NEVER MIND I said.....

wow $350 what the hell?! My shop rebuild my front and back (from stock to pro wheels) wheels for 150$, for both... This place only gives me like 10% off (i don't go there except for maintenance I can't/don't trust myself to do myself).

As mentioned, it's not that hard, just be sure to check out the lacing pattern. Very useful to know how to do anyway in case you blow up a wheel you'll be ready to lace up a new one :bonk:

Good luck!

I laced a set for the first time a couple of months ago. It really is easy to lace them. Then I had the shop true them because I am very impatient and would not be able to do it properly due to that. It cost me $40 to true both front and rear.

Jim

I've flattened every Pro-Wheel rim I've ever used. Thats two sets on my 125 back in the day and one set on my 450 now. I have excels in my 250 that have remained true for 3 years in counting. Won't ever buy Pro-wheels again, too thin in my opinion. Just my two cents.

if you have old bicycle wheels take them apart then relace them for practice. or just go for it and have confidants...its super easy!!!! call around to other local shops as well they can probably give you a better quote