Sign in to follow this  

05' RM250 Rider Sag?

Hey Guys, I will be adjusting the rider SAG of my RM250, does anyone know what is the proper measure for it? I unfortunately don't have the manual.

Thanks!

Your shock spring preload should be less than 10mm on linkage suspension but not less than 5mm. You don't want to over preload a weak spring as you will just get a harsh ride that still will allow hard bottoming. I usually shoot for about 5mm preload on fork springs. If you have the right spring.

You can figure your correct sag numbers by using percentages. That way you can get the correct springs for you and your bike. Base these percentages on the available travel front and rear with a variance of + - 3 mm.

Front suspension static sag should be 14% ( available travel in mm X .14 = static sag in mm)

Front suspension rider sag should be 25% (X .25 = Rider sag)

Rear suspension static sag should be 11% of available travel (X .11 = static sag)

Rear suspension rider sag should be 34% of available travel (X .34 = rider sag)

Using these principles you can figure the correct sags for any bike and thus the correct springs without guessing and compromising.

ive settled at 102mm after LOTS of trial and error. my bike is sprung for ME not my weight, i like my stuff stiff so its 2 spring rates higher than it should be.

ive settled at 102mm after LOTS of trial and error. my bike is sprung for ME not my weight, i like my stuff stiff so its 2 spring rates higher than it should be.

Why do you like your suspension stiff? Too stiff and you are not using all your travel and the bike is beating you to death. You may be surprised at many bikes are too light on rear shock spring. On my Husqvarna I had to go up 5 steps from stock and I only weigh 185lbs. I went from a 5kg to a 6kg. My static sag is 30mm on that bike and rider sag is now 103mm. It has 295mm rear wheel travel. I actually had to go DOWN one size on fork springs to get the proper sags. The sags will tell you when you have the correct spring rate. Maybe you are racing SX ?

I have come to find 102mm is the sweet spot also after lots of trial and error too. I prefer springs for my weight though.

The 05 RM250 has 300mm fork travel so if you have the correct springs you should have about 70-75mm rider sag with 40-44mm static sag if you have the correct fork springs for your weight.

It has 320mm rear wheel travel so by my figures it should have about 35mm static sag and 108mm rider sag.

If your fork springs are too stiff or too much preload you will have to run too much preload on the rear to make the bike turn. Thus you will have a harsh ride. A stiffer spring with the correct sags will be a plusher ride than a softer spring with too much preload. Control your bottoming with damping.