Sign in to follow this  

I Rode Carlsbad Raceway Yesterday!

For those of you who rode, saw, or knew of Carlsbad Raceway in Southern California, you probably know that it was closed several years ago, plowed over, and developed. However, the great guys who run The Ranch, in Anza, CA, were nice enough to bring it back to us. They built an exact replica of the former track that sported the USGP, Superbikers, and 40 years of amateur motocross. I rode the track yesterday and it was the coolest track I have ridden since....well, Carlsbad.

I grew up racing Carlsbad from the late 70s through about 2000. The replica track is so darn close to the real thing it is scary. Boy did it bring back some great memories. Coming through some of those corners and sections I totally flashed back to the CMC and REM days.

Thanks to The Ranch for building that track and bringing back so many great memories for us Vet riders and for showing the young riders how motocross was meant to be!

I heard they had a replica track, good to hear that it's close to the original. Maybe I'll try it.

fltplan,

Take that CR 500 out there!. It will be like the old 500 USGP.

I rode a cr 500 there in 94' and vowed to never go back with that bike. just about killed myself! I'm older and wiser now, maybe it would work out better.

Yeah, me too. I wound up in the ambulance there several times when I was younger. I heard some club was going to race this new track. I think I will give it a try.

I Grew Up Going There But Have Never Raced There. Id Love To Ride That Track Now. Is There A Website?

Sounds Like All It Needs Is A Drag Strip And Skate Park Like Before.

is the replica as hard and rough as the original ? that place gave me blisters :bonk:

It sure is. It is super rough just like the old track, especially the uphill and downhill, which are almost identical to the original. That uphill is super long and rougher than hell, just like the old one. ...and the downhill is crazy fast and super long.

I am telling you, all the way down to the braking bumps, whooped out straights, and kickers, this is the real deal. The horseshoe, rattlesnake gulch, ledge, and devil's drop are all identical to the old track.

I Grew Up Going There But Have Never Raced There. Id Love To Ride That Track Now. Is There A Website?

Sounds Like All It Needs Is A Drag Strip And Skate Park Like Before.

www.theranchanzaca.com/

No drag strip or skate park. One major difference from the old track is that it is out in the middle of no where instead of right by the beach.

It was fricking freezing out there yesterday. ..and the rain didn't help anything either.

It was fricking freezing out there yesterday. ..and the rain didn't help anything either.

not quite like the beach but if it's a good track it's worth it I'm sure.

Great track and totally worth the drive and the weather. I would brave that weather any day to ride that track.

I heard they had plans to make it a Saddleback replica next year.

I heard that too. Never rode Saddleback, but it looked fun.

There have been a couple of vintage races out there so far. Not sure about modern bike races yet.

Didn't they actually have a "Carlsbad GP" race a couple of weeks ago?

I'm too young to be familiar with the track but I have been wanting to get out to The Ranch, it seems like a top notch facility.