Sign in to follow this  

KDX 200 or YZ125

I'm looking into getting a KDX 2000 model year around 2000 or a YZ125 model year 2002-03ish. I'm a pretty new rider and do all trail riding with some technical and some steep trails. What are some pros and cons to both bikes? And what would you recommend?

Thanks!!

KDX everyday... The KDX is going to have way better low end torque, less clutch work and a lot easer maintance, last forever, but maybe 10 lbs heaver.... still KDX in my book

If you are a newer rider and you will be riding trails, the KDX is the way to go. The 125's have very little low-end power and need to be revved to make usable power. 125's are motocross bikes with stiff suspensions that are made to take big jumps at high speeds. The KDX is a purpose built trail bike. They make great lower-end grunt and have a suspension that is made for soaking up roots/rocks/etc at slower speeds.

A 125 is quite a bit lighter than a KDX. It is actually about 30 lbs.

If you were going to ride tracks or wide open stuff, a 125 would be a blast.

125's are fun bikes. But technical, steep trails will be very tricky on one. Thats KDX territory all the way.

Just my opinion.:bonk:

You'll LOVE the KDX on the trail in no time. The YZ would only frustrate you especially when the trail becomes technical. They are great bikes on a track, but they have no place on the trail in the hands of a newer rider.

KDX all the way. Keep the oil and air filter clean and you'll love it for years on end :bonk:

I had a KDX when i was still getting into riding, was a great bike, great stepping stone. I also recently rode my buddies 05 yz125 a good bit this summer, he bought it just for the hell of it, while it was a blast, whenever the trails get real nasty...its pretty horrible. There were many nasty hills that he could just not make up on it (A-class GNCC racer mind you), it wasnt him...it really was the bike. I think a 125 would tire you out and frustrate you in areas the KDX would make look easy.

I don't know. I'd like to have the KDX motor in a YZ chassis with a little woods tuning on the suspension.

You'll outgrow the kdx pretty quick and you'll be looking at suspension mods.

You will never outgrow the YZ and I highly suggest suspension mods because the MX stuff is not good in the woods.

Op

Its simple...KDX for the reasons listed above. There is no reason to repeat them. Ive owned both bikes in question...trust us on this one.

I don't know. I'd like to have the KDX motor in a YZ chassis with a little woods tuning on the suspension.

You'll outgrow the kdx pretty quick and you'll be looking at suspension mods.

You will never outgrow the YZ and I highly suggest suspension mods because the MX stuff is not good in the woods.

Never outgrow the YZ? I disagree. The YZ125 is a horrible beginner trail bike...especially with respect to the lack of low end power. I dont know one trail rider that rides a 125 MX bike and I know quite a few.

Why put a KDX engine in a 125 frame? You will still have a bike with no light, no kickstand, 19" rear tire and who knows if the coolant overflow would bolt up. If you were going to spend all of that money, it would be much easier to buy a KTM 200. Its a superior bike...Ive ridden a few. The KTM will hold its value, unlike the frankenbike.

Here ia a site that can help with anything you may want to know about a KDX...

http://www.frpoffroad.com/aboutus.htm

I agree there are many mods that can be made to a KDX to make it a worthy KTM 200 adversary. However, it would take a ton of money to do so and you would never get that money back if you ever sold the bike. The KTM is the complete package out of the box. I looked into modding my KDX220...then I rode a 300 EXC. The KDX was sold shortly thereafter.

Op

What is your budget?

Edited by moto_rider7755

Thanks for your opinions guys. I was thinkin the KDX 200 , but now I have find a good one in decent shape. My budget for it is under $2000, all of them should cost under that its just a matter of finding one now.

You should be able to find a really clean KDX for $2K. I paid $2K for my 2002 KDX220 about 1-1.5 years ago and it was in excellent condition. The paint wasnt even rubbed off of the frame and virtually no signs of wear. So, my point is...dont settle. Take your time to find a deal.