Sign in to follow this  

Am I going to be disappointed

Am I going to be disappointed making the switch from a 92 wr250 2 stroke to a 2008 wr250f? Im thinking about a wr450f but I can pick up a 250f for way cheaper. Is the 250 quick enough for hare scrambles? How about track riding? I am looking to get more into enduro racing and wondering if this bike has enough balls.

The WR250 can be competitve but you will have to replace the exhaust at the minimum. My wife has a '07 WR250 with an FMF Mega-Bomb header and Q4 exhaust and it runs quite well. I have several frinds that race enduros and hare scrambles on WR250's with good success. You will have to do some mods though, but not too much.

The WR250F will be light years ahead in suspension and brakes over your trusty '92. You will have to get used to how to use the power of the 250F, but you can go fast on it.

I agree with Jim. I have a WRized '03 YZ250F and a '04 WR250F. I put a WR tranny into the YZ to give it more top end speed. It has a light flywheel and low weight which makes for very quick response, but in the wet and rocks its a chore to ride around here. The WR has lights, softer suspension, and more flywheel for wet and rocky situations. You get an 18" rear wheel too. It's easier to ride and YZise a WR than the other way around.

Put a YZ rear fender on and get some red Boltz LED taillights and save that weight. Put slightly stronger springs in the forks for a "KTM plush" like fork. Mine had that mod when I got it so I don't know what rate it is. Get a JD jet kit and clean up jetting after you dump the muffler for something more free flowing. That is a MUST DO for the jetting to work properly. Do the free mods, and you will be amazed.

After the free mods you will not be disappointed! If you ride it before the free mods are done you will be so pissed and kicking yourself in the teeth for buying the bike. They come very choked p from the factory for EPA and/or legal reasons. After the free mods and still not satisfied then a few bucks on aftermarket parts will make it a screamer! There is a lot of aftermarket parts for this bike

I think if you do the free mods, get a good air filter, jet it, and even just a YZ exhaust (way cheaper if you don't want to buy an FMF or similar), and you will be quite happy and surprised how the bike is.