Sign in to follow this  

Higher Wattage Headlight Bulb Safe?

I'd like some more light from my headlight.

I've put HID's into my truck and there is a big difference, but, the HID setup requires a lot more parts that will sooner or later break than a bigger tried and true light bulb. I also don't know if I trust the HID set ups to handle getting shaken hard all day long in the desert out in eastern Oregon.......

I've seen the H4/9003/HB2 12v Osram Hyper High Output Xenon Bulb (85/80 watt) referred to on various forums as a good bet for the 650L. I assume the wiring will handle this, anyone use a bulb this size or this bulb in 85/80W, successfully?

I''ve also found a Narva 100/90 watt, but the site warns to use higher gauge wiring and relays......anyone use this size in a 650L with stock wiring? Is Narva a viable manufacturer, I had never heard of it before.

I have the stock stator on my 650L. If this works well, I'd also like to improve the headlight on my wife's CRF230L, also stock. With the higher wattage headlight bulb, I'll use an LED tailight bulb to reduce the power use.

Thanks for your observations,

Merry Christmas

RiverRunner

I've been running HID and a second halogen for years. I like having backups.

Of those two bulbs the Osram is the one to get. It makes almost the same light as the Narva. I've run both.

I've been running HID and a second halogen for years. I like having backups.

Of those two bulbs the Osram is the one to get. It makes almost the same light as the Narva. I've run both.

What does your light setup include to run both HID and Osram at the same time?

Thanks.

You can pick up a 35watt h4 hid kit with slim ballast cheap on eBay. Only problem is if you want hi and Lo beam you would need to get a bi-xenon bulb which tend to be a bit more pricey. It's one bulb that utilizes a solenoid to switch hi and Lo (pretty neat). Otherwise your stuck with hi OR lo. but I would make sure you use a headlight lense made of glass, not plastic, because they put out quite a bit of heat.

What does your light setup include to run both HID and Osram at the same time?

Thanks.

I have a HID in the main headlight and a second little 55 watt H3 for/driving light mounted separately.

my HID was $35 to my door, bi-xenon. I cary a halogen in the airbox in case of an outtage.

my HID was $35 to my door, bi-xenon. I cary a halogen in the airbox in case of an outtage.

Does the stock glass reflector provide a good beam of light or is it scattered with the HID?

Is the beam OK for both high and low beam?

I guess HID makes sense from a stock stator sense as well, I'd sure like to put heated grips on our bikes and that might start pushing the stock output if we went with higher wattage bulbs.

Thanks very much.

RiverRunner