Sign in to follow this  

stripping paint

whats a GOOD off the shelf paint stripper that can be found most places?

I want something I can either spray on or brush on let set and then power wash the paint and chemical complete off....:bonk:

I dont have a sand blaster so chemicals is my next option.

do you have a compressor? If so you can buy a cheap gun for like $6 from harbor freight stick the feed line in a bag of sand from home depot, BAZINGA, you now have a sandblaster. Just do the work outside. I dont think theres any paint stripper in existance that will remove all paint without a lot of elbow grease

My compressor does not have enough volume to sandblast. I bought a can of rustoleum air craft stripper. It took several coats and a wire wheel but it got most of it. I then used mineral spirits until no more color was on the rag...then a tack cloth. I used a self etching primer to cover it. So thats where it is now. I think I am going to go a semi gloss black on the frame and a aluminum silver for the subframe.

Go to autozone or advance and get a gallon of the aircraft stripper, it works great and is about 40 if I remember correct. It can even strip powdercoating which isnt easy to do. I dont remember who makes it but it says aircraft stripper on it

LOL, guess I should have read the whole thread before I posted. sounds like you got it. The aircraft stripper works best when you can submerge an item in it, but with a frame that isnt an option

I completetly blasted and powder coated my sons kx80, the pics are in my garage, but some arent that great. Had a blast taking that thing apart and rebuilding it. Just need to find him some black wheels now and he will be set.I may just take his off over the winter and powder coat them and the hubs also

Take pics! :bonk:
can't compete with you jeenky...my shop is a 10x12 shed:banghead:. barely enough room to turn around much less do a photo shoot. Just trying to get it back together before I lose any parts....:smirk:

Maybe do another restro when my brother leaves for Florida and I have access to his heated pole barn.