Sign in to follow this  

How do i lift my dirt bike with this jack? (pic inside)

Trying to lift my dirt bike off the ground, dont have a dirt bike stand, or a dirt bike jack, i have this jack, which is good, but when i lift it up, the bike is not steady on it, therefore i cant do any kind of work, what can i do to make this jack lift the bike up and keep it nice and steady?

Oh and i dont have any access or knowledge to weld stuff. Cant really afford to buy a bike stand or a bike jack at this time either, so really want to make this work, thanks.

xt45.jpg

where in California are you at? if you can get to Fresno I have a good quad/bike back that just sits here, on wheels has 2 rails, slide it under hte bike, jack it up with a foot petal, you come and get it, it's yours.

Harbor freight sells a slick unit for 30 bucks or so, 20 bucks on sale, you slide it under the bike and step on the petal, I use mine all the time

carl johansson

Auberry ca

• Like 1

Just go buy a stand or jack stand from harbor freight for $20. That jack will not work unless you can fab a support for it that will allow for more surface area to contact the bottom of the bike, and keep it from pivoting.

don't think your going to make that work...atleast holding it steady at all.

if you have an old 5 gallon bucket laying around they work ok as long as you use a lid. or even hammer a few 2x4's together and make one...I've seen quite a few homemade stands from members here and they are cheap and effective...

if you really want to use that jack the only thing that comes to mind is if you can take off the swivel top and build a platform out of wood that you can bolt to the jack. or leave the top on and drill some holes in it and bolt a thick 12x12" piece of plywood to the top.

if you need to steady the bike further and you have exposed studs in the ceiling of your garage you can hook some tie downs to the stud and to your handlebars...I do this when I change the oil, just leave the bike on the ground and run the tie downs down to my bars, holds the bike up fine.

Search? Well you are still kinda new, and I am bored, so I did it for ya!

found a pic a jack like yours, not sure how they keep the boards from wobbling on the jack.

1.jpg

2.jpg

some nearly free options:

IMG_01171.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

bikepics-2267195-full.jpg

Side.jpg

5878999234_0b358e122a_b.jpg

c1c190ce.jpg

DSCN1005.jpg

DSC01284.jpg

stand.jpg

bucket, stand made of 2x4's,20dollar stands at HF get creative but dont use that jack in the pic.

Don't use that jack, scary, not good.

Almost any of the wood or milk crate stands would be mch better, even a 5 gallon bucket turned over would be better than the jack.

I have a few bike lift stands I made and you can have one if you want. Just come by and pick it up

Hey Swede,

i just pmed ya. I need to go riding 2 or 3 times before jan 20th. Gotta het ready for the H&H series, you ought to race with us this year!

Don't use that jack, scary, not good.

Almost any of the wood or milk crate stands would be mch better, even a 5 gallon bucket turned over would be better than the jack.

If u jam 2 buckets together its much better than 1

Thanks for all the info guys, i went and got a piece of 2x12, about a foot square all around, i drilled a 2'' hole right in the middle, about 1/2 deep, so that it could fit over the swivel top of the jack, got it on there, but still was not even close to being steady, and that swivel top on the jack, spins and turns, but is not removable, and is super hard to drill thro, too bad, i wanted to make it work and use what i got.

So i just used a bucket, kinda wanted to have both wheels off the ground, but had to balance it out and work on the rear and the front at seperate times.

xt46.jpg

Lots of good ideas from everyone tho, thanks.

Thanks for the offer Fresno guys, but im by magic mountain which is about 3 hours away, but highly appreciated. :bonk:

If u don't care about weight, get a section of tree trunk that's maybe 16" long and 10-14" diameter that's cut pretty square on the ends... you know, what firewood looks like before it's split. :bonk: Cheapest stands I ever bought, around $2 apiece.