Sign in to follow this  

02 Wr250f Exhaust Glowing Red

Last night i pulled apart the carb on this bike and cleaned all the jets and so on. After the carb was all cleaned(the main jet had some grime in it) the bike fired up like it was brand new. First Kick. I took it around for a few laps and realized that the exhaust was glowing red coming from the engine. I assume that it is running to lean. Any Suggestions? Also there is a red knob on the bottom of the carburetor.. not sure what it is. Thanks

Glowing header pipes are not uncommon. Just ignore it and jet the bike to run right. There is a ton of info on this site to help you. William1 and James Dean are great resources.

Thanks for the responses.. they are very much appreciated. The pipe has never ran red like for as long as i have had the bike. If i would have touched it with a screw driver it would have easily gone right through. Im not going to act like i know alot about working on bikes as i have only been riding for about a year now. I just dont want to damage anything. The bike also does idle a little wierd now, it revs up the rpm's real high. Is that a jetting issue? Is there some kind of spec for the red knob on the bottom of the carb? Thanks again!

So i think i got it figured out. I opened up the feul screw 2 full turns.. and messed with the idle until it ran the best it has in a long time. I rode it around for about 10 mins and the pipe got super warm but it didnt get glowing hot. I had the idle set way to high which is why the rpms were going crazy.. thanks again. The feul screw adjustment is what really set me free and without your help i would still be trying to figure out what the red knob was haha