should i be worried?

i have recently bought a 2000 DRZ 400 that is a little rough just to get back on the trails. last weekend i bent my gear lever, i just removed the lever to replace it and the stud gear has a lot if movement in and out. would appreciate any and all help or advice

i have recently bought a 2000 DRZ 400 that is a little rough just to get back on the trails. last weekend i bent my gear lever, i just removed the lever to replace it and the stud gear has a lot if movement in and out. would appreciate any and all help or advice

Stud gear?

I think you’re asking about the shift shaft,, which the gear shift lever attaches to.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11443&d=1252316103

Shift shaft Item #26

There is a circlip Item # 31

On the shift shaft just outboard of the engine case on the left side.

If the clip is in place the shift lever will still move laterally 5mm or so, if the clip is out of place, it will move 1cm or more, enough to have the right side come off the gear change assemble.

That L shaped part of the shift shaft seen in pic 2 and 3 when it moves to the right, away from the shift drum assembly, will disengage. And you will no longer be able to shift.

attachment.php?attachmentid=14902&d=1288874305

attachment.php?attachmentid=17133&d=1318707113

Edited by E.Marquez

gear shift shaft thats the one. there is a slow leak from that area not sure if its from the gear shift shaft or from behind the frount sprocket, i will be replacing both seals just to be sure as the bike is old and has had a hard life. though it has only done 17000k's. thanks for all the help and advise. The movment isnt enough to worry about

Yeah...good idea..being an 11 yo bike the seals will be tending to harden up..

I recommend you have a look thru the FAQ section in regards to maintenance for your new ride....

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626003

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397

BTW..Welcome to TT....:bonk: