Upgrades for a big guy

I am riding a stock 2003 CRF 450R. I am a big guy 335 pounds. I am not into racing, big jumps or anything too extreme (too old and don't heal fast anymore). I just am looking for something to ride around the track with my young sons. I know I am over the limit for the stock suspension. I don't want to spend too much money but want to get the most bank for the $$. I am thinking about bigger springs. I contacted Factory Connection and they recommended 7.4kg shock spring and .56kg fork springs. They also recommended re-valving and several other things but that would cost more that I want spend. I am going to have a local suspension shop handle the setup this time, I may tackle the maintenance next time around.

My biggest concern is will it help and will I notice the improvement for the $$$. I don't want to spend $500 and not notice any improvements. What should I expect? Any suggestions (besides a diet)? Thanks.

I spent $500 with John Curea on springs valves and oil on my DRZ and it was the best money I ever spent, and I did mostly road riding. On flat track and trails it was awesome. Suspension for you weight (and you weigh about 50lb less then i did when i redid mine) is the best investment you can make on an off road machine. you wont regret it.

When I talked to the guy at Bump Sticks he mentioned doing something else to the rear to help smooth it out. It was not a revalve but maybe that is to help with the bouncing. I thought about ordering and doing it myself but I think I am better off letting them do it this time around to get it right. I am fine with $500 at the local shop but Factory Connection started quoting me $1000-$1500 and adding this and that on. I only paid $2100 for the bike. Thanks for the advice I feel better now spending the $$$. I will probably get into the shop middle of January or February. I know the boys will want test out the new Christmas gear a few times before I take mine to the shop.

of anyone i think you will notice the difference more than 90 % as you are so far from the target weight(no offence) but i agree with Ale, you need a revalve as the rebound will not cope with those spring rates, i did a cr 250 for a big guy, used 0.50 and 5.9 i think and i had to double the amount of large shims for the rebound.

You got the right bike for a big guy,I am 6 foot 5 and 310 and the 2002 thru 2004 CRF 450 is a great bike for big guys especially if you ride sand.

Be careful on your shock spring however because I had to run one size smaller spring than recommended because the rear end would come around on me no matter how I adjusted the spring the book said to use and this was with 2 revalves as well. At 335 a CRF motor is a little underpowered if you need more power drop a 500 2 smoker in their and you will cut your shifting in half.:bonk:

Thanks for this thread OP! I am 6'1" 330lbs myself. Just bought and 09' 450 to get back into riding myself. Took it out today, and learned that the suspension is horrid in the desert. I felt like I was in a pinball machine. I was deflecting off every rock. Was great for preloading to clear ugly stuff, but it generally beat the snot out of me. Now im trying to figure the best route to make this pig rideable in the desert.

Thanks for this thread OP! I am 6'1" 330lbs myself. Just bought and 09' 450 to get back into riding myself. Took it out today, and learned that the suspension is horrid in the desert. I felt like I was in a pinball machine. I was deflecting off every rock. Was great for preloading to clear ugly stuff, but it generally beat the snot out of me. Now im trying to figure the best route to make this pig rideable in the desert.
Dont you find those things under powered for a big guy in the desert? In my opinion the best desert 450's were the 2002 - 2004 especially for a big guy not even close. now maybe if you ride moto x that is a different story.

Dont you find those things under powered for a big guy in the desert? In my opinion the best desert 450's were the 2002 - 2004 especially for a big guy not even close. now maybe if you ride moto x that is a different story.

naw, it has plenty of power. maybe a little too much right off the bottom. the throttle response is kinda insane. it could use a little more pull up top, but it gets the job done. the suspension is terrible stock though for my type of riding. keep in mind i am not riding wide open desert, but rather tight technical single track. i rarely get out of 3rd gear. i have owned both an 02' and an 04'. they were great bikes, but this 09' will turn circles around them. i really like the way this bike handles.