Sign in to follow this  

need a 170 pounders advice

Hey guys im 63 pages in and have not found an answer yet. I am hoping someone can give me their MX suspension set up advice for a 2006 RM 250.

From the factory its set for a 180 +/- 10 lbs. I am around 170 lbs without gear. I keep reading the stock suspension is really really rough. Any body out there my same weight that found a great clicker set up? Thanks for the advice!

I'd research 'suspension tuning 101' and learn to do it yourself. One guys settings settings are not universal. You need to put it where YOU want it

Edit....and dude...READING that the stock suspension is rough is irrelevant. How does it feel you you? What would you change?

the best thing to do is start with the sag and make sure everything is set there. if you can't get the sag right then you need new springs..... next set all the clickers to stock settings and hit the track or trail (where ever it is you plan on riding) ride until the bike does something you don't like. then go over that same section a few times to really get a feel for what the bike is doing..... once you know what it is doing adjust the clickers accordingly 3 clicks at a time. first adjust compression then rebound (or vice versa) but don't adjust both at the same time or you will just confuse yourself because there is often a crossover effect there..... ride the section, adjust, then ride it again. Keep doing this until it feels good. then hit the whole track again and repeat if needed.

work on the forks, then the shock or the other way around but not both at the same time..... once you think you have it ride and have fun, but don't be surprised if a little fine tuning comes up in the next couple rides it usually takes a bit to get it just right.. you will NEVER find a setting that is perfect for everything and every track or trail but you can find one that you like ENOUGH to live with.... if you absolutely cannot find the right feeling, then you need to have your suspension revalved for what you want.... you can either do that yourself with the help of the suspension forum or just take it to a proffesional which will cost a good bit more.

either way, without some real seat time and consious observation you won't really know what needs to be done.....

sorry I should have stated that I just bought the bike. Winter here in Iowa has kept me from really riding it yet. Just trying to get a heads up for spring

But thanks for the tips Padgett and djsather. I having been researching a lot, just hoping I would find a proven set up for my weight to help me cheat a bit.

sorry I should have stated that I just bought the bike. Winter here in Iowa has kept me from really riding it yet. Just trying to get a heads up for spring

But thanks for the tips Padgett and djsather. I having been researching a lot, just hoping I would find a proven set up for my weight to help me cheat a bit.

ahhh, i see. well i am only 170 lbs in my dreams so i can't help you there.....

You have three choices:

1. Do not do a thing, ride it first and then consider adjusting the valves or changing the springs after a few rides and a couple attempts at tuning with the clickers.

2. Just pull the shock and forks and have them rebuilt, revalved and sprung for you.

3. Have your suspension serviced (oil change and a general internal check and inspection), ride it and then have it revalved and sprung based on how it feels with a fresh rebuild.

#2 "might" be the preferred route, but your suspension tuner will not have a clue as to the direction he should take, because you will not have any input to direct him.

#3 is the route that I would take. You will then know where your suspension is and the direction that you need to go. #3 is sort of like an expansion on #1.

decisions decisions decisions.

Yea I think that's what I am going to go......just get them serviced. I have a bad seal now anyway. If I am going to spend the time and money I want to know exactly what I dislike about the suspension. Plus I am going to attempt to rebuild my 2000 125s suspension soon so maybe I can revalve my self when I'm ready

Yea I think that's what I am going to go......just get them serviced. I have a bad seal now anyway. If I am going to spend the time and money I want to know exactly what I dislike about the suspension. Plus I am going to attempt to rebuild my 2000 125s suspension soon so maybe I can revalve my self when I'm ready

Rebuild yourself then you will have the skills necessary for a revalve. Rebuild them to stock specs, right down the shim stacks in there, then decide what you don't like and post in the suspension section and someone will help you out with a stack.

stock settings when I was 180... a little faster in the front rebound maybe 4 clicks...

If you can afford it send it out to FC... best m oney I ever spent. :bonk:

People can say what they want to say but I ride mostly harescrambles with a little mx and the stock fork springs were beating me to death. I went to #41's and it's a whole lot better up front.

Hgaither1 how much do you weigh? I'm rebuilding the forks soon and wondering if I should change up spring rates