Sign in to follow this  

Aluminum Throttle Tube

Our throttle tubes are becoming a regular wear replacement item. I like the throttle action to snap back like new. So I end up replacing them every 3-4 weeks.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience good, or bad, with any of the after market aluminum tubes.

thanks

Every 3 weeks!!? Seems a little excessive, do you have a gorilla grip or somethin....

I have the aluminum throttle tube, works great but ends up wearing your handlebar instead of the throttle tube, so if your needing them every 3 weeks now, you going to be changing handlebars instead of throttle tubes..

Just my .02

I use graphite lube works great. It's in a spray can and sprays out wet with a solvent based liquid that evaporates and leaves a dry graphite film that won't collect dust. The when first sprayed it really creeps into tight places then leaves only the dry graphite behind.

Why not get the locking grips, they come with the grip installed on the tube, also they are very comfortable. I have been able to loosen my grip since I know they will not move.

I have the cheap Tusk one on my Honda, no complants after several years.

can't go wrong w/ the G2

The Tusk one wasn't available for my Suzuki, so I bought a G2. This has an end-cap for bark-busters unlike the Tusk one. When I mounted the grips the same way I always do, glue entered between end-cap and the end of the tube, sending grip glue between the bar and throttle tube. Tube was destroyed during removal. So if you try one of these, intall grip before installing on the bike!

Why not get the locking grips, they come with the grip installed on the tube, also they are very comfortable. I have been able to loosen my grip since I know they will not move.

This is why I have on my Suzuki. The only thing that is odd is the fact that the plug in the throttle side doesn't turn with the grip. Strange, but I got used to it.

i tried an alum. one for a few months of riding (3-4x a week for me) and just didn't like the feel. As deisel power mentioned, it was wearing the bars. I went back to plastic motion pro tubes ($10), as the ends tap out for bark buster use. That i think is what you may have going on?? Your falling and the plastic tube is breaing at the end? i just can not see how your "wearing" the plastic tube that fast.. i have 120 hrs (per meter) on my 08crf450 and i wasn't the first owner, same tube, but i used bark busters so the ends don't get broken.

You DO need to take the housing apart from time to time to clean stuff out of there, i use a light amount of wd40 as well.

I had a Moose aluminum throttle tube in my 06 CRF450, never had an issue. I always used graphite to lube it, worked great, and cheaper than the ball bearing ones. To me, the throttle tube is a regularly maintenance item, just like your air filter, oil or valves. Never know when your throttle may decide to hang open, even with the ball bearing tubes...