Sign in to follow this  

Xr's only temp dipstick???

I'm using one for a year now, no problems yet, got it from XRsOnly. I've heard after some time they start to leak oil. And after a wash water can get inside the cover. These haven't happened with mine, but as I wrote I just have it for a year.

And it helped me to learn how to convert between Fahrenheit and Celsius on the spot :bonk:

I have one too. No problems in the 6 years I've had it. I like to keep an eye on my oil temp and it does a good job.

When you get one, you'll need to lay the stock stick and the XRs one side by side and mark the oil level indications on the XRs stick.

I have one and I have both problems with oil leaking into the face and moisture getting inside of it. I have torn it apart a few times and sealed it up using a myriad of concoctions to no avail. I't s a cool part so I deal with it but I wish I had an "easy" button for fixing it.

I have one TDS for each of my 3 bikes: 2 XRs and a Yami YZF. No problems with any of the dipsticks and it's nice to know the general oil temp. My sister has one in her older XR250 and the lens is all cloudy but still fairly legible... that's the model with the dipstick down on the right engine case and the TDS gets unbelievably hot you can't unscrew it with bare fingers.

What is the highest oil temps you guys have seen on those xr's units?

Before I took steps to get them down, I saw as high as 260*. Now days I don't see higher than 220*.

Before I took steps to get them down, I saw as high as 260*. Now days I don't see higher than 220*.

What steps did you take to get the temps down?

I ordered one off of e-bay from germany,,Hoping it would be better,,But as usual it leaked all of the liquid into my oil tank in about 500 miles...It still works fine..It seems that it does not matter what brand you get its a shot in the dark as most of them are made the same way..You will like it if it leaks or not..:bonk:

What steps did you take to get the temps down?

Realize, I'm running a 440. I run an NGK -9 plug, a full synth oil treated with Two2Cool and I wrapped my header.

i see 250f on my xr250 when riding hard ij the summer... most of the time around 200