Sign in to follow this  

Help, I need a shock part.

I did something stupid and damaged a part for my shock. I changed the oil in the shock on my 2005 yz250. After bleeding the shock, The barrel that fits in the adjuster had fell in the old oil and I reassembled and rode the bike with out it. When I found the barrel and opened up the adjuster I had damaged a thin washer.

It measures 0.2mm thick and the inside diameter is 17.5mm and the outside diameter is 20.7. The washer is bent and got sliced. Been trying to get one since September. I really don't want to buy a whole shock for one little shim.

thanks in advance

Dave

Picture of barrel and sliced washer-shim

damaged_shim.jpg

Edited by dzamo

is that the shim that fits inside the barrel or i'm wondering if it is a wave shim from the compression adjuster, did you have the compression adjuster apart?

is that the shim that fits inside the barrel or i'm wondering if it is a wave shim from the compression adjuster, did you have the compression adjuster apart?

I did not take the adjuster apart. I think this shim sits under the spring.

I think I have one from the same year yzf250. a customer ruined the shock body and I found one on ebay for him. I'll look in the morning.

is the spring of cadj. is by the alloy body in your pic and the hs port. it is a spacer.you can make one with lathe.in steel.dont need a new shock

I think I have one from the same year yzf250. a customer ruined the shock body and I found one on ebay for him. I'll look in the morning.

thanks for checking, let me know.

is the spring of cadj. is by the alloy body in your pic and the hs port. it is a spacer.you can make one with lathe.in steel.dont need a new shock

I don't need the barrel, just the wash/shim. thanks

thanks for checking, let me know.

If he doesn't have 1 I'm sure I can come up with it.....

doc

for some reason I'm not seeing that shock body. has to be around here somewhere I'm sure. I'll have to keep looking unless shockdoc has one handy.

i undestand right you need the shim,but you can make it

I dont have the tools or skills to make a shim. I only have a wood lathe and would not know how to cut a metal shim. thanks

Chad, Let me know if can find that shim. thanks Dave. I am willing to pay you for the trouble.

Chad, Let me know if can find that shim. thanks Dave. I am willing to pay you for the trouble.

I've been getting hammered at work and haven't had time to dig. I'll try to get on it soon.

Thanks Rockyracer, I tried them and they do not sell that washer separately, only the whole adjuster for $99. I can get a used shock on ebay for about the same. I hate to spend $99 for one washer. Hopefully someone with a blown shock they dont need can sell me that washer.

Saw you were still needing that shim so did some digging tonite. I'm kinda confused tho as I was looking at your pic again and like yam837 said it sure looks like the wave washer that sits under the piston on top of the shim stack.

I measured a few of those shims that I had laying around and most the wave washers measure .20 thick like you said while the other ones I have that fit into that barrel measure .80 or .60 thick.

So what I have is (1) that is .20 X 18.5 ID X 21.00 OD and (1) that is .80 X 17.5 ID X 21.5 OD

When I get in the shop tomorrow I'll look some more for your exact measurements but if you think either of these will work just let me know.

doc

Saw you were still needing that shim so did some digging tonite. I'm kinda confused tho as I was looking at your pic again and like yam837 said it sure looks like the wave washer that sits under the piston on top of the shim stack.

I measured a few of those shims that I had laying around and most the wave washers measure .20 thick like you said while the other ones I have that fit into that barrel measure .80 or .60 thick.

So what I have is (1) that is .20 X 18.5 ID X 21.00 OD and (1) that is .80 X 17.5 ID X 21.5 OD

When I get in the shop tomorrow I'll look some more for your exact measurements but if you think either of these will work just let me know.

doc

nah I think it's the shim that sits under the barrel in the comp. dampner. I've been sick as hell for a week and haven't been in the garage. I'm back on my feet today so hopefully tonight I can dig around for that shock. It has to be here somewhere.

nah I think it's the shim that sits under the barrel in the comp. dampner. I've been sick as hell for a week and haven't been in the garage. I'm back on my feet today so hopefully tonight I can dig around for that shock. It has to be here somewhere.

thanks for checking shockdoc,

Chad, I think you are right, its been awhile. It seems like there are 2 washers under the barrel. One narrow one that fits into the recess at the bottom of the barrel and this wider one that I damaged by forgetting the to install the barrel. Sorry about your sickness.

thanks

Dave

Edited by dzamo

thanks for checking shockdoc,

Chad, I think you are right, its been awhile. It seems like there are 2 washers under the barrel. One narrow one that fits into the recess at the bottom of the barrel and this wider one that I damaged by forgetting the to install the barrel. Sorry about your sickness.

thanks

Dave

I found the old shock. PM me and i'll get the parts you need sent to you.