Sign in to follow this  

12 year old trail riding

Hey guys- here is my situation.

My son is 11 years old- 5'4" tall, 112 lbs. He's a big guy for his age.

We live in California, We ride trails almost exclusively (Rockfront, Ballinger, Gorman, Pozo, etc.)

His riding style is light aggressive-?? lol

He has been riding about a year and a half- we ride about every other weekend or so...

He started out on an xr80 and quickly moved to a CRF100- thats what he rides now.

I have done some mods to the 100 to keep it interesting for him (pipe/intake, etc) but he is clearly ready to move on.

I obviously need green sticker.

I have looked at the crf150f, the crf150r, crf230, etc.

The bike that we fell in love with was the crf150r- but it's red sticker, plus I have come to love the low maintenance of the xr style motors.

The crf 150f, and the 230 appear to struggle in the suspension department-

I thought about a pre-2002 2-stroke- (green sticker) but I think he wouldn't have as much fun on the trails with it??

I have a few bikes, but my favorite trail riding bike is my crf250x- I wish I could find a mini version of that bike for him..lol

I do have a green sticker yz125 that needs a power valve- should I throw him on that??

Thanks for any help

My 11 yr old is very close to the size of your son, he has been riding since he was 5 and is aggressive as wel. Currently he is on a 95 kx 80, but he really loves riding the 125's My brother in law has 2002 kx 125 that my son jumps on every chance he can get. The only reason my son isnt on a 125 if because he is still just a hair short. We ride a lot of trails and if I am not with him and he happens to fall on a 125 he just isnt quite tall enough to get going again without a well placed hill etc...If he is physically big enough I say go for the 125. I have a cr 125 on the way now, and it will be my sons when it gets here

the 150R will ride like a two stroke and can be a lot of work trail riding.

An 06 or later 150F with electric start is a great value and would fit him just right. You can pick one up for about $1400-1900 in great shape and sell it in a year or two with out much of a loss. Don't worry about the suspension for just trail riding. They are a bit heavy but carry it low and are fairly easy to pickup.

Bullet proof bike like his 100 just a bit bigger.

He will be ready for 125 2 stroke in no time.

the 150R will ride like a two stroke and can be a lot of work trail riding.

An 06 or later 150F with electric start is a great value and would fit him just right. You can pick one up for about $1400-1900 in great shape and sell it in a year or two with out much of a loss. Don't worry about the suspension for just trail riding. They are a bit heavy but carry it low and are fairly easy to pickup.

Bullet proof bike like his 100 just a bit bigger.

He will be ready for 125 2 stroke in no time.

agreed.

A kx 100 may be a good choice if he can't quite fit on a 125. He will adjust to a 2 stroke in the woods quickly if he is a decent rider like you make him out to be!

A kx 100 may be a good choice if he can't quite fit on a 125. He will adjust to a 2 stroke in the woods quickly if he is a decent rider like you make him out to be!

I'd look this route too. ..plus kids love 2 strokes. They will love that braaaap! They'll learn how to ride better too. Hey I'm still a kid and I love 2 strokes and 4 strokes now..:bonk: Your son will love the power and you should find a kx100 for a reasonable price and be able to sell it for close to what you bought it for when your son moves up...plus those bikes are pretty bullet proof. Maybe not as much as an xr but next in line. It should be a win win for you and your son. Those kx 100's are good with decent low end for trail and they are fast too.

I think at 11 I was your sons size and weight too. I was riding a steens minicycle with a Hodaka 100 super rat motor. My father went nuts with his drag racing background and made this animal motor that was way too powerful for the size frame. I raced and rode trails and hare n hound races with it. It was like what a kx 100 would be today but the kx 100 just is a better bike all around. I think I it was the perfect transitional bike for when I raced a 125 the power was just about the same.

You can just throw him on a 125 but I think that's a little advanced depending on his riding ability. Depends on what kind of trails you are taking him on. It's nice for him to be able to put his feet on the ground and more easily pick up the bike.

easy choice for the rest of us, but with your sticker situation out there your stuck looking at old bikes

KX100 is the right size for him at his current height up to about 5' 7". My daughter went from CRF100F to KX100 and is 5' 4" about 105 lbs.

The real question is how quick is he going to grow and how long will the KX100 last him. For my daughter she is done growing (17 yrs old). For your son, you may get 1 maybe two riding seasons from it.

If you are riding this winter, I think a 125 2 stroke is too big and even in Spring/Summer you dont want him tippy toed when trail riding.

The KX100 has about 29 HP according to the MCO on our 2009, The CRF100F is about 10-11 HP. It is a big step up in power and maybe be worth it to ride the KX100 for a year before moving to a full size 125 2T bike. YZ85 (uness its a big wheel) is almost too small already. I added a Steahly flywheel weight to make it a bit more trailworthy and changedd the front/rear sprockets to gear it down for our trail riding out here in Colorado.

Thanks everyone for the replies- this forum is awesome.

That 250x jr--- what a bike. But $8500.00 ?? Holy s!$t!! lol.

I have been reading alot on this forum and the KX100 comes up alot. I did a search locally and there are few around this area- I'm not in a rush so i'll wait until one pops up and go take a look.

It's a weird area, age wise and skill level wise- seemed alot easier when I was a kid. We went from an 80 to a 125 and so on.

Crazy thought..... XR200???

I have been reading alot on this forum and the KX100 comes up alot. I did a search locally and there are few around this area- I'm not in a rush so i'll wait until one pops up and go take a look.

It's a weird area, age wise and skill level wise- seemed alot easier when I was a kid. We went from an 80 to a 125 and so on.

might be too small

Maybe..but if I was a kid I'd rather have the kx100. Solid though . It's hard to kill an xr 200.

The perfect bike is out there if you are willing to spend the coin!

http://www.servicehonda.com/2010-models/honda/junior-x

I would look for a KDX 200 that is in good condition.

CoKTM

i most certainly would NOT look for a kdx, or a xc for that matter. im 16, im pretty tall for my age (5'8-6' ish) and the first time i jumped on my kdx, i was surprised at how tall it was, so an 11 year old will obviously not be suited to the seat height of a kdx :bonk:. get him a 100 or 125 2 stroke if he can touch with his tip-toes.

i most certainly would NOT look for a kdx, or a xc for that matter. im 16, im pretty tall for my age (5'8-6' ish) and the first time i jumped on my kdx, i was surprised at how tall it was, so an 11 year old will obviously not be suited to the seat height of a kdx :bonk:. get him a 100 or 125 2 stroke if he can touch with his tip-toes.

i was 5'4 on my moms 200 and rode it fine, i was 12-13 years old??

EDIT: Im 5'10" and fifeteen now :smirk:

Yeap, you should really look at the KX100. We ride the trails in WV and my son has a 08 KX100 and this bike has been great!! Low maintenance and would putt around or go wide open and never an issue. Never fouled a plug!

We put a FWW on it to help with low end and this helped a lot!!

Good luck on your search!