Sign in to follow this  

Ongoing intermittent spark problems

After installing a brand new stator, I thought I had this problem fixed, but a few kicks later and I was wrong. Just to let you know I have checked everything else- fuel, air etc and the problem with the bike is electrical. I can confirm this by kicking with the plug out and touching the head and only seeing an intermittent spark.

I have checked continuity is all wires, and the kill switch seems fine, it seems to problem is the either the ignition coil or CDI- that's all that's left right? Would anyone else be able to shed some light?

What are you working on? Please describe your problem again and what you have done to try to fix it.

I have an 2001' YZ125 with an intermittent spark problem. I have checked continuity in all the wires and they're fine, I have checked the resistances in all the components and they're fine. The kill switch is good as well. I thought the problem was the stator because I somehow got it running once and the bike would run fine at high rpm but it seemed like it bogged at low rpm (stator not producing good voltage at low rpm?), but I replaced it with a new one and the problem still persists.

I had the same problem on my 2000 YZ250, replaced stator and even had it rewound a second time as thought it must have been done wrong. Replaced the coil and it worked fine. It sparked but was very weak on the old one and would misfire and eventually die. Was told that the coil was highly unlikely but don't count it out. See if you can borrow one. Assuming as you have replaced the stator the pick up is nice and clean etc.

sorry, when you say coil what electrical part are you referring to? the coils on the stator

sorry, when you say coil what electrical part are you referring to? the coils on the stator

ah good question, I mean the ignition coil, not the stator coils

Also, if I'm buying a new ignition coil, will a 2010 or 2009 coil work for my 2001 bike?