Sign in to follow this  

2012 KTM 300xc vs 2008 YZ 250

Currently have a 2008 YZ 250 set up for high speed off road conditions. Bike has a lot of power and handles great. Was looking at doing a 295 big bore on it so as to get even more power but then saw the 300xc and thought that the electric start, 196 watt stator and 6 speed would be awesome! Problem is, the last ktm 300 I rode was a 2008 300xc-w and I thought it was way down in top end power compared to my yz. Have they improved the 2012 power over the 2008? I know these are typically single track bikes geared for low end. Would I have to do head work and bore the carb to get the top end power I'm looking for?

They rev a little higher than an 08' but they still won't rev as far as your YZ 250. But then again, once you step your 250 up to a 295 it won't rev as far either. You don't need to rev a 300 to the moon to make it go fast. It's happiest in the mid range and it will still walk on any YZ 250/295 out there....especially with a 6 speed

Well, I know in a straight line my YZ would pull the 08 KTM 300 easy.......not even close. Guys always mention that going to a 295 will make it lose revs, but I've got a TRX250 with a 425 big bore and yes, it makes it's power a lot lower, but it still revs to 9500 no problem, so I can't see how 50cc would make a difference. It's more about how it's ported than size in my mind. I still think the 300 is designed as a bush bike for low end, but that's the oposite of what I'm after.

All good points. The good thing about a 300 (and I've said this a lot), is you can make it anything you want. Mine is an 11'...and when I got it, I messed around a lot with different PV spring, dolly screw, and jetting combination. I could make this thing into a brute that wouldn't let the front wheel stay on the ground and would put the fear of god in you if it came on the pipe when you weren't ready. I'm a fast B level desert racer so my bike needs to be able to tractor down low for rock-strewn goat trails, but also needs to run fast for flat-out sections as well. My bike with stock gearing tractors almost down to nothing in first-second gear, and has a top speed of 87mph WFO in 6th...that is with stock gearing which is good enough for me.

One argument that a lot of people make against a 300 that I will never for the life of me understand is that: "a 300 doesn't rev especially high, therefore it can't be a fast bike.".....Any bike can go fast if its geared too. Sure, a 300 doesn't rev to the moon...but it has such a strong mid range that it will pull a higher gear that a 250 2t wouldn't be able to pull until it got higher into powerband. But it's more than that; most of us do our riding in 3rd and 4th gear, I can lug my bike and maintain a decent clip where a comparable 250,200,125 ect. can go just as fast...but they have to really work to do it. Meanwhile, my suspension is unloaded and I'm not lighting up my rear wheel out of every corner; just because I'm in the low-midrange of my motor and not in the top end. Just food for thought :bonk:

Currently have a 2008 YZ 250 set up for high speed off road conditions. Bike has a lot of power and handles great. Was looking at doing a 295 big bore on it so as to get even more power but then saw the 300xc and thought that the electric start, 196 watt stator and 6 speed would be awesome! Problem is, the last ktm 300 I rode was a 2008 300xc-w and I thought it was way down in top end power compared to my yz. Have they improved the 2012 power over the 2008? I know these are typically single track bikes geared for low end. Would I have to do head work and bore the carb to get the top end power I'm looking for?

Just some backgound, I had a 09 KTM 300xcw, 09 KTM 200xcw, a 08 YZ 250, a few bikes in between and now on a 2012 KTM 250xc. I have ridden a 2012 300xc, but settled on the 250.

The 300 stock will not rev like the YZ. The YZ is tuned for a motocross track right out of the box, the 300 is tuned for the bush, very tractable power, very easy to use. Virtually no hit, unlike you YZ. If your looking to find a bike that revs, go with the 250xc. Again, there is virtually no hit but brand new it made more power then my broken in YZ. The bike is simpily amazing when it comes to HP. It trumps the YZ not only in HP but useablity. It doesnt feel like it revs farther then the YZ but there is no hit whatsoever, it kinda makes the bike boring to ride. The suspension is on par with my YZ, the handling is pretty equalbut I would give the nod to the YZ for stability. The electric start is nice as is the larger gas tank and 18in rear wheel but what really sets the bike apart is the 6 speed. For any roads or open sections, the 6th gear is amazing. If a new bike is in the cards, look into a 250xc if you like to rev. If not, I have heard awesome things about the 295 kit. I have never rode one but believe it to be a good purchase for a YZ. I am just comparing one stock bike to another.

What I'm after is the ability to pull 85-90 mph and pull it with authority, with decent over rev. Sort of like my stock YZ but with a 5-6 horsepower boost to keep up with the big four strokes. With the YZ, I'm geared 15/47 and it pulls it well but my thoughts were to go to a 300 so as to give it more pulling power. My concern is that the KTM off road bikes are geared more towards single track. The ideal bike would be a KTM 250sx or 300sx with 50-52 horsepower, electric start, 196 watt stator and a six speed. Can't wait to see what MXA does with their 300xc for power mods as I'm sure they are looking at making a 450 killer!

What I'm after is the ability to pull 85-90 mph and pull it with authority, with decent over rev. Sort of like my stock YZ but with a 5-6 horsepower boost to keep up with the big four strokes. With the YZ, I'm geared 15/47 and it pulls it well but my thoughts were to go to a 300 so as to give it more pulling power. My concern is that the KTM off road bikes are geared more towards single track. The ideal bike would be a KTM 250sx or 300sx with 50-52 horsepower, electric start, 196 watt stator and a six speed. Can't wait to see what MXA does with their 300xc for power mods as I'm sure they are looking at making a 450 killer!

Where are you riding in AB where you need to go 85-90mph? Your YZ stock sure doesnt do that. At 15/47, what a pointless ride. My 09 300xcw did 168kmh with stock gearing, wide open, on pavement, no wind, that was it, nothing more. I dont know any riding areas in AB where your doing that kind of speed. I think your grossly overestimating, unless all you do is blast up and down farmers fields!

KTM off-road bikes are not geared towards single track! If your looking at those kinda speeds, look towards a 450, like a 450xcw. The XC produces near close peak HP as the SX, just more tamer.

I'm curious also to what kind of riding you do. If you want a 2t that will eat a 450 for breakfast...there are a couple 500's that will do it no problem :bonk:. But I will tell you that my bike is incredible in single track, doesn't give up any "usable" horse power to any 450 out there...and will still hum along in the 80mph range. And this is with a stock motor. Bore the carb out and do a head mod and your looking at even more ponies. The only problem I have with my 300 is that the bike has more balls then I do :smirk:

Reread my post, didn't say that my YZ does that, probably 75mph right now. We race endurance events on ice and the fast guys will easily exceed 85 mph on the front straight away, which is typically over 1/2 mile long. The team that won the pro class last year with a stock bore YZ250 was geared 14/40, but the guys riding this bike were at a minimum 60 lbs lighter than I am, so the bike could pull it. I think I'm pretty much maxed out on gearing as I'm probably 230lbs. Even with a 295 kit, I could probably gear it more but this would make the lower gears pretty much useless, but I typically don't even use 2nd gear for the races. The 300 is appealling because with the 6 speed and even one less tooth on the back would give me the speed I want. Also, we run a 24 hour event and the big lighting coil would make things a lot easier as I have to run a battery powered HID on my YZ. Most of the fast guys are running big bore 4 strokes like 530xc-ws, husaberg 570s, etc, but I really don't want to go 4 stroke unless I have to as most of them have experienced catastrophic failures. Just tired of getting pulled on the straight aways so bad!!! As for big bore two strokes, I'm working on building an aluminum frame CR500, but my buddy runs one and holding on to that monster for 6 hours has got to be almost impossible! Check out Alberta Endurance Ice Racing on youtube if you want to see what we are up to.

And again, last ktm 300 I rode felt like it was down 2-3 horsepower to my YZ, so I didn't think that was the answer. Looking at the specs, a 36mm carb is geared for bottom end response, especially on a 300. If I have to port the cylinder and deck the head and bore the carb, may as well make mine into a 295 and see what it is like.

Yeah, after seeing what kind of racing you do my opinion is now invalid :smirk:. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :bonk:

Andrew,

Sorry, maybe that came out the wrong way. I was actually after info from someone who desert races as it's probably the most similar type of racing. I reread what you wrote and it sounds as though they improved the 300 power since 2008. I just remember switching bikes back and forth with my buddy with a 300 and it had basically no hit, so much so that it felt like a xr250. What kind of horsepower does a 2012 300xc put out?

Not sure what the :bonk: is about........

Andrew,

Sorry, maybe that came out the wrong way. I was actually after info from someone who desert races as it's probably the most similar type of racing. I reread what you wrote and it sounds as though they improved the 300 power since 2008. I just remember switching bikes back and forth with my buddy with a 300 and it had basically no hit, so much so that it felt like a xr250. What kind of horsepower does a 2012 300xc put out?

Not sure what the :smirk: is about........

what was behind the :banana: was endurance ice racing was the last thing I expected to see when you revealed what kind of racing you were involved in. I have never heard of it before...no big deal or hard feelings :bonk:. I have a FMF fatty and TBCII spark arrestor on mine. I don't know what the exact HP numbers are but it feels every bit as strong as the 2 previous CRF 450s that I have owned. Port/polish and some carb mods and you are looking upwards of 55Hp I would assume. Personally I ride a 300 in the desert because I found that FOR ME...it has the best power to weight ratio. I race the open class so guys are riding any and everything. I don't think that a 500 would be any fun for any race over 3 hours...and as much as I ride, I didn't like having a ticking time bomb (4T) between my legs.

If you don't want a ticking time bomb and you want WR gears then a YZ450F with said gears oughta do it. Reliable machines when looked after.

Price for doing up your YZ295 is low. Much less than a new KTM.

Where are you riding in AB where you need to go 85-90mph? Your YZ stock sure doesnt do that. At 15/47, what a pointless ride. My 09 300xcw did 168kmh with stock gearing, wide open, on pavement, no wind, that was it, nothing more. I dont know any riding areas in AB where your doing that kind of speed. I think your grossly overestimating, unless all you do is blast up and down farmers fields!

KTM off-road bikes are not geared towards single track! If your looking at those kinda speeds, look towards a 450, like a 450xcw. The XC produces near close peak HP as the SX, just more tamer.

Your '09 300 did 168kph/105mph with STOCK gearing??? REALLY?? I doub't I can get mine past 75......

Joe

Your '09 300 did 168kph/105mph with STOCK gearing??? REALLY?? I doub't I can get mine past 75......

Joe

Yeah, I thought it was quite insane. That was going off the stock odo also. Some funny things start to happen at those speeds, just the wind resistance alone was tough. The tires weren't balanced which made for a little bit of a bumpy ride. Again though, that was absolutely tapped.