Sign in to follow this  

09 yzf 250..T.P.S.

Hi just changed the carb on my 250f as I could not stop dirt getting in the float bowl.So got the second hand carb, but there was no throttle position sensor fitted.Now I have put my TPS on the the lines painted on the the carb did not match very well.

Started the bike idles ok but I was wondering how you go about making sure the TPS is set up correctly and how will I know if it is not set up correctly..

Hope this makes sense..

Cheers

Gak

Do you have the service manual for this bike?

If not, setting the TPS is a pretty complicated procedure.

Yes I have a manual,and have read threw the procedure of setting the TPS.It do`s appear to be complicated and also having to remove the carb on numerous occasions.

Yes I have a manual,and have read threw the procedure of setting the TPS.It do`s appear to be complicated and also having to remove the carb on numerous occasions.

It is what it is. Follow the procedure in the manual. No real easy shortcut or tricks around it.

Sorry.

It there a particular part of the procedure you don't understand?

It is what it is. Follow the procedure in the manual. No real easy shortcut or tricks around it.

Sorry.

It there a particular part of the procedure you don't understand?

Thanks for the advice 2grimjim :bonk:

Thought I might of got lucky and found a shortcut.

Seems straight forward in the manual,looks like a need to buy a multimeter.

Cheers

Gak

Sears has very nice FLUKE digital multimeters for under a hundred bucks. Sending a few bucks on quality tools is always a good investment. You can check your local auto parts store too.

Oops! I see you live in the UK! Well.....I really have no Idea where to get one there.

Setting the TPS is really not so bad. You slide in some probes (make them from small gauge single strand wire), connect up the multi-meter, and have at it.

Btw, your dirt in the carb was caused by your vent hoses. Your original carb was not the cause of the problem.

Setting the TPS is really not so bad. You slide in some probes (make them from small gauge single strand wire), connect up the multi-meter, and have at it.

Btw, your dirt in the carb was caused by your vent hoses. Your original carb was not the cause of the problem.

Bingo! Setting the TPS is childs play with a good auto ranging digital multimeter.

And to cure the dirty carb problem, here's your cure: http://www.brpmoto.com/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.tpl&product_id=2318&category_id=676

If you have too much of a problem setting it you can always just leave it disconnected. It may effect high rpm throttle response just a little but most people won't notice it. It's always better to have one not connected than one that is not working properly or not adjusted correctly. If it gives the brain false reading then the brain will give false out puts for spark. If its not connected then it resorts back to a default setting that doesn't variate with throttle position.

I have tried everything to resolve the dirt getting in the carb,to the point were I changed through frustration more than anything.In the UK we are not able to get the trick parts you guys have.And to get them buying a second hand carb was probably cheaper.:smirk:

Thanks for your input.:bonk:

Gak

Bingo! Setting the TPS is childs play with a good auto ranging digital multimeter.

And to cure the dirty carb problem, here's your cure: http://www.brpmoto.com/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.tpl&product_id=2318&category_id=676

I tried all over to get a something like that in the UK,the closest I could find was a device what you inserted into the airbox.And I would have had to drill holes in my airbox to insert the vent hoses.

Thanks for the input:thumbsup:

Gak

If you have too much of a problem setting it you can always just leave it disconnected. It may effect high rpm throttle response just a little but most people won't notice it. It's always better to have one not connected than one that is not working properly or not adjusted correctly. If it gives the brain false reading then the brain will give false out puts for spark. If its not connected then it resorts back to a default setting that doesn't variate with throttle position.

Thanks for the input:thumbsup:

Gak

If you consistanty get dirt in the carb bowl, try shortening the carb overflow vent lines. What is happening, is that one of the lines is acting as a venturi and is drawing air thru the other vent lines. Or, rig up a filter system.

Hopefully, the new carb is better, but if not, try these suggestions.

Btw, please don't run without the TPS. Yamaha has that on there for a good reason and yes, you will notice the difference.

If you consistanty get dirt in the carb bowl, try shortening the carb overflow vent lines. What is happening, is that one of the lines is acting as a venturi and is drawing air thru the other vent lines. Or, rig up a filter system.

Hopefully, the new carb is better, but if not, try these suggestions.

Btw, please don't run without the TPS. Yamaha has that on there for a good reason and yes, you will notice the difference.

Once I get the dirt issue addressed I will set the TPS up,it will be good to get out on the yam.The UK is very wet now so there are only sand tracks open.And I dont want sand in the carb..lol

Again many thanks.

Gak

What kind of air filter are you using and how are you servicing it?

I wash the filter in paraffin,then in warm soapy water then rinse out with cold water.I use twin air or No toil filters.

Left to dry inspected for any damage oiled with Ipone filter oil or No toil then grease the lip of the filter and fit.If riding in sand I use filter skins.

I`am very particular with my filter and when the dirt started to appear I was buying new filters,have about six now..

Gak