Sign in to follow this  

Adventure ride on a TE449?

So I am curious, has anybody done any long rides on the TE 449?

Like the washington adventure trail or the Oregon OHV cross state trail?

That type of stuff.

I got used to carrying gas on my wr250R. MSA makes a fuel bottle that fits in the water bottle pocket of my back pack.

I was actually reading the owners manual and it says not to run it at a steady speed for long distances. Hmmmm.

I will check out your link on your ride.

Thanks

An MSR bottle is only good for maybe 10 extra miles. It's great for if you over estimated your range slightly, but not for getting you that extra 75 miles in a remote area.

Remember, that Husky is a dirt bike, not an adventure bike. You can do adventure rides on it, but it's limitations will have to be worked around (such as it's limited range).

Valkrider,

I am curious.

After reading some of the other threads, what did you do for oil changes on the 1000mi ride?

Seems that many folks are saying 300mi for an oil change.

I like to plan ahead for the worst case scenario and try to avoid that.

So, I appreciate as much input I can get to not be the guy bitching about my bike failing even though it is my ignorence or laziness that causes a problem.

Know what I am saying?

Why do you want to use te449 for an "adventure bike"?

Just because someone has done "it" does not mean it should be replicated.

Valkrider,

I am curious.

After reading some of the other threads, what did you do for oil changes on the 1000mi ride?

Seems that many folks are saying 300mi for an oil change.

I like to plan ahead for the worst case scenario and try to avoid that.

So, I appreciate as much input I can get to not be the guy bitching about my bike failing even though it is my ignorence or laziness that causes a problem.

Know what I am saying?

300 Miles is overkill, unless it's 300 miles under full race conditions or during break-in. On a ride where your cruising most of the time and not either wringing the bike out or doing lots of tight, technical, slow-pounding riding you should be fine. Especially since the Huskly carried almost 2 quarts.

I changed the oil and filter before I left and had an extra change ready should I decide to do it - but I never did. I did swap out the air filter on Day 3. Other than that the bikes required no maintenance during the trip.

300 Miles is overkill, unless it's 300 miles under full race conditions or during break-in. On a ride where your cruising most of the time and not either wringing the bike out or doing lots of tight, technical, slow-pounding riding you should be fine. Especially since the Huskly carried almost 2 quarts.

I changed the oil and filter before I left and had an extra change ready should I decide to do it - but I never did. I did swap out the air filter on Day 3. Other than that the bikes required no maintenance during the trip.

You're experience is with a 510 and the original post is regarding a 449/511 platform. Two completely different dirtbikes, one carrying almost 2 quarts and the other .9 quarts. If you were getting 600miles/20 hours out of the TE510 on such a trip, I'd plan on 300miles/10 hours interval on a TE449 and I have just a little experience with a 449 engine at 5500 miles and two engines under my belt from trying to stretch oil change intervals for "dual sport" use :bonk:

Now with an oil cooler/resevoir set-up a 500-600 mile/20 hour interval would be no problem IMHO. Bill Conger is running a TE449 in Dakar this January with such a set-up and it should provide good feedback after 2 weeks of abuse and oil changes.

You're experience is with a 510 and the original post is regarding a 449/511 platform. Two completely different dirtbikes, one carrying almost 2 quarts and the other .9 quarts. If you were getting 600miles/20 hours out of the TE510 on such a trip, I'd plan on 300miles/10 hours interval on a TE449 and I have just a little experience with a 449 engine at 5500 miles and two engines under my belt from trying to stretch oil change intervals for "dual sport" use :bonk:

Now with an oil cooler/resevoir set-up a 500-600 mile/20 hour interval would be no problem IMHO. Bill Conger is running a TE449 in Dakar this January with such a set-up and it should provide good feedback after 2 weeks of abuse and oil changes.

I will ride my new bikw this weekend.

The oil cooler you speak of. I haven't found anything specific for the 449.

Do you know were a guy could find such a thing?

Just thinking ahead.

matbe it wont be an issue only time will tell.