Sign in to follow this  

2011 Airbox mod? Better filter seal?

I thought I read in DIRT RIDER that they replaced the airbox on their long haul 2011 KTM 350xcfw stating that the stocker doesn't have a positive seal between the airbox and the air filter.

Or was it the filter cage?

Has anyone heard of this? Or had an issue on a late model KTM? Mine is a 2011 150XC.

They didnt change the airbox,they installed a Twin Air Powerflow Kit.It replaces the stock cage with a better sealing one.If you take your time and do everything right you should have no issue's with the stock cage.Make sure everything is seated right and your golden.

I put a Pro-Seal neoprene seal on all my airboxes. It creates a tighter, "squishier" seal that gives me more confidence than the stock setup. Rather than grease I just put extra oil on the sealing surface of the filter.

It does take some careful installing, but if you just use some Maxima grease on the actual lip of the mating surface in the air box and then make sure the filter is tucked properly on the edges, so there is a larger mating surface, then its fine.

I have played with some of the KTM aftermarket cages and they don't seem to be any better, they still pinch the filter and that design is the problem.

I like the idea above about putting the pro seal neoprene on the air box lip. :bonk:

I put a Pro-Seal neoprene seal on all my airboxes. It creates a tighter, "squishier" seal that gives me more confidence than the stock setup. Rather than grease I just put extra oil on the sealing surface of the filter.

I just got the new's today that my new KTM arrived,and i have been thinking about running one of the Pro Seal's on it.So you have had really good luck with it?Does the filter seem to seal better with it and do they stay stuck on nicely?Thank's!!

I have had the pro seal on my last two bike and it does a great job of helping seal the air filter to the rim.

I just got the new's today that my new KTM arrived,and i have been thinking about running one of the Pro Seal's on it.So you have had really good luck with it?Does the filter seem to seal better with it and do they stay stuck on nicely?Thank's!!

The extra thickness doesn't seem to make installation any harder but it makes the retaining bar push the filter against the airbox harder and the neoprene and filter seem to conform to each other so tightly that I don't think grease is neccessary, just a generous line of filter oil around the filter's sealing serface.

I have found that on my 11 150sx it is much easer to get the air cleaner on correctly if I take the seat off first.

^Oh yeah. Defeats the purpose of the tools free airbox door but I haven't even attempted it without removing the seat. It only takes a couple seconds.

Pro Seal works great on my 2011 300XC. Very tight seal with it installed.

^Oh yeah. Defeats the purpose of the tools free airbox door but I haven't even attempted it without removing the seat. It only takes a couple seconds.

It's only one bolt. It's not like changing an air filter on a YZ450!