Sign in to follow this  

Some Advise Please

Hi all new to this site and i need some help and advise i want to get an mx bike for track days and i have found a honda cr125 1996 for £400 its in good condition and i have asked the guy to ride it around and go through the gears as i was not dressed for the occasion :bonk: (silly me) i am new to bikes i can ride but thats it as far as the mechanics go i no nothing he told me it had a full engine rebuild 2years ago and that there are no problems a littlle rust on the chain thats it the bike itself seems ok like i said good condition for its age reason he is selling is due to his sons lack of intrest as it was bought for him to ride around his fields anyway i am having doubts as the bike is old and can you still get parts whats the worst that can go wrong and whats the most expensive thing to repair i was worried if i buy it i no it will need new piston rings but what if i cant get them and i wanted to tidy it up as i could sell it later on and get myself a newer bike so what are your thoughts thanks ASH ,

I think as long as it sounds good and rides u should be good to go.... 400$ u cant go wrong! piston n rings are cheap anyway. go for it!

Welcome to the forum. Got any friends who are into bikes? Bring him along for the test ride. Also, get yourself some decent gear, at least helmet, chest protector, gloves and boots at minimum.

1996 isn't THAT old, you shouldn't have any issues getting parts, if there's no local dealer, mail order would be fine. And since you live on an island anyway, most of it probably is mail order.

As far as checking out your potentially new bike, read this: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

For $600 US that's not a bad deal if the bike is in "not bad" shape.

Honda still provides parts for old bikes, so you shouldn't have any issues there. I was able to get parts from Honda for my 20 year old bike. I hope you don't take offense to this, but you should consider using punctuation. That's one of the longest run on sentences I've ever seen!