Sign in to follow this  

heating a bearing to fit crank through

I posted this question yesterday but didnt get any hits... has anybody heated the bearing races before to get the shafts through? i've read u put a socket in it and heat that not the bearing?

I posted this question yesterday but didnt get any hits... has anybody heated the bearing races before to get the shafts through? i've read u put a socket in it and heat that not the bearing?

I've never tried that method, but have put the bearing into a toaster oven and the crank in the freezer overnight to get everything to slip together painlessly.

you shouldn't really heat them but we all do it anyway, I normally use a hot air gun and have the shaft chilled in the freezer. The races only need to be about 80*c

Put a piece of aluminum on an electric hot pad. Place the new bearing on it and heat it until the grease starts smoking. Pick it up quick and drop it on the red locktite covered crank end.

The shops showed me how to do it on my '70's Bultacos. Got to be good at case assembly just to keep the bike running/racing. Same procedure used for a '98 KLX I rebuilt several years ago.

Sorry , i think i could have been more clear when i wrote but the bearing is already pressed and locktited into the case half. So i need to heat up the race while its in the case enough to be able to get the crank through it. I can't just put the torch to it?

Throw a bearing driver aluminum slug on your inner race and hit it up with a torch untill the oil just starts to smoke. This works best if you put the crank in the freezer 24-48hrs (longer the better) before hand. You can then drop the crank in the bearing, with tranny preassembled, heat the other bearing the same way, and drop the other case half on. No pullers required.

Throw a bearing driver aluminum slug on your inner race and hit it up with a torch untill the oil just starts to smoke. This works best if you put the crank in the freezer 24-48hrs (longer the better) before hand. You can then drop the crank in the bearing, with tranny preassembled, heat the other bearing the same way, and drop the other case half on. No pullers required.

:bonk::thumbsup:

Put a piece of aluminum on an electric hot pad. Place the new bearing on it and heat it until the grease starts smoking. Pick it up quick and drop it on the red locktite covered crank end.

The shops showed me how to do it on my '70's Bultacos. Got to be good at case assembly just to keep the bike running/racing. Same procedure used for a '98 KLX I rebuilt several years ago.

Isn't red locktite thread retainer? Locktite's bearing retaining compound has always come green as far as i've noticed. Not saying the colour of the compound serves as a guide to it's purpose by any means.

Thanks guys! i actually tried to dry fit it again today and it ended up sliding in, really tight but it went without heat!