Sign in to follow this  

KTM 250xc-w

Going to look at a 2007 KTM 250xc-w with 125 hours, fresh top end. I have never had a two stroke so a little leery. The purpose would be atv trails and woods roads here in maine. I would have to put all the dot stuff on and then get a plate. the plate would be to connect trails. I have a heavily modified dr650 with rmz suspension for more traditional dual sport riding. I find lots of info on the 200 and the 300 but not much on the 250. Any help would be appreciated.

The 250 is a great bike for trails! I had an 07' 300xc and just sold it and got an 09' 250xcw. Love the gear box. I ride it on single track and race it in the desert. Hard to be a more versitle bike. Trust me, you won't need any more power. You may want it, but you won't need it. I really don't notice much difference between my 300 and 250. I can tell you that there is a frame change from 07 to 08 that is pretty significant as far as turning the bike is concerned. My 09, which is the same frame as the 08 turns much better than my 07. Not something that would be a deal breaker though. I didn't know about it til I rode my 09'. Have fun!:bonk:

If your trails get tight and nasty you'll love the KTM 2T. If your trails are more open and flowing you might want to consider a 4T. I had an 01 KTM 300MXC, an 05 250EXC, an 07 300XCW, and an 08 250XCW. I liked them all, and they were great bikes. If it's been well maintained you have no worries as far as reliability, even at 125 hours the top end is probably still ok. I did however find my 08 to be a little lacking on bottom end power, so I ended up putting an SX head on it, and that helped a lot. If I get another KTM 2T it will be another 300 though, I like the healthy bottom end.

RiderX,did you find the same handling difference that I did between the 07 n 08?

Ive owned about 6 bikes in the last 2.5-3 years trying to figure out what I want..from a RM 125 to a WR 426..in every color. A guy from my old job got me hanging out with the KTM crowd, so I finally bought one last April/May. I bought a 2007 300 XC and its the best trail bike I have ever owned. Ive ridden a 250 XC before..they are also excellent bikes...they just tend to rev a bit higher and have less low end power. You really cant go wrong with any of the trail specific KTMs. However, I would advise that you ride one on the trail first to get a feel for the bike. Some people like their 4 strokes...I was one of them until I got tired of the weight wearing me out.

Unless the guy can produce receipts, dont trust that the bike has a fresh top end. Look on Craigslist and notice about every other bike has "fresh top end" in the ad. Some probably do, but I can guaranty they all dont. However, a top end rebuild in a 2t is simple. I would rely on other less conspicuous details to get an idea of the hours such as foot peg wear, shifter wear, frame rub, clutch cover wear. Of course, take a look at the obvious things such as the air filter and such.

Thanks everyone for the advise. Talked to the seller today, says he is the second owner and has put about 2 hours on the bike himself and lost interest. Said the first owner was an older guy who trail road it. Has the old piston and an extra set of plastic. Wants $2600 for it. Says it may need new rear wheel bearing but otherwise in excellent shape. Will go to look at it on friday. What besides the obvious wear and tear should I check? At least this bike is only about 20 miles from me, the last ktm I looked at was 4 hours away and the seller was not honest about the condition of the bike.

That is a very reasonable price for that bike...thats exactly what I paid for my 300, but Ive put about $700 into the bike getting everything up to par. Its possible that the current owner only put 2 hours on the bike and its possible that the original owner was an older guy that trail rode only. Its also possible that he is lying to you. I would ask alot of questions about the history of the bike...get a read on the seller. However, regardless of what he says, you really need to be able to look at the bike carefully, ride it and know if its a deal or not. If you are not able to do that, take someone who can.

To answer your question, check the things I mentioned above. In addition, shake the rear wheel and swing arm side to side to check for play. If it needs bearings, you can feel it. Check the rotors front and back. If they are original, they will give you an indicator of wear and tear. Cheap rotors are about $50 each. Check the sprockets for wear. The teeth should not be pointed or hooked...thats an indicator of wear. A cheap sprocket set is about $80-$90. Of course, check for leaks on the engine and fork seals. Warm the bike up to operating temperature. If the top end is fresh, it should pull hard through every gear.

Thanks Moto_Rider, I have walked away from several bikes in the past when I didn't trust the seller. The seller sounds okay but when he talked about the previous owner the the story of the old lady that only drives her car to church on Sundays came to mind.

Picking the bike up tomorrow. Seemed to run ok, didn't get to ride it hard as their was a couple of inches of snow and ice on the ground. Seller says he still had the same tank of fuel in it from when he bought it two years ago. I'll tear it apart next week, drain the tank, clean the carburetor, and see what it needs, hopefully just a check up. The old piston looked perfect, not a pit or scratch on it. Came with extra oil, plastics and lots of paperwork.