Sign in to follow this  

Tusk Clutch Pack KDX200 problems

title says it all...I was installing my wiseco clutch basket(cool stuff), and I put in new clutches, fibers and plates, and my clutch lever doesnt work right because the clutch pack I put in is too thin. has anybody else had this problem with this brand? I will double check to make sure I didnt miss a steel plate, but I am 1000% sure I didnt. I liked what I saw with the brand and its quality but it was too thin to even engage the clutch fully when in gear and I was pushing it. I will call rockymountain and tell them about this but has anybody had this problem, or tell me your story about tusk clutches

I installed all the disks/plates because I counted them before I put them in, but I am not exactly sure I installed all of them. I am going to have to recount them dammit. Oh well, only spent all afternoon on it yesterday, whats another day wasted I guess huh?

you might have a wore out clutch cable, i had the same problem on a kx250, it was my cable had stretch, replaced the cable problem fixed,:bonk:

B4 blaming the discs, remember you changed the basket too?

What are you doing in this section Bill? Did you end up buying a KDX and not telling anyone?:bonk:

Little Jeff

Well I don't have a KDX... But did you measure both stacks before installing?

I know my clutch cable was kinked in like 4 different spots, but with the old plates it worked fine, also the basket is supposed to be a direct replacement. I am going to have to take it apart and recount all the plates and whatnot. my clutch was fine before, it worked, but the plates were worn out and the basket was getting close to grooving. Ill fiddle with it today and see what I find. only thing to do I guess.

I ran into a problem once with a KX125. The clutch was slipping, so new friction discs were installed. Once reassembled, the bike would barely move at all. What fixed it was the addition of new steel discs. Apparently the clutch slippage was so extreme that the steels quickly wore away, so they were too thin to make up the proper clutch pack dimensions.

It was strange and didn't make a whole lot of sense at the time.

• Like 1

Couldn't get passed the Tusk name the first post.

Hey lil’ buddy, on that KDX clutch, did you re-install the disc spring and spring seat behind all those disks and plates?

the two washers that go around the hub, yes. I made sure they went in. All the parts are in and in right(next to the possible escapees plates), and I have a lever pull after I adjusted the cable all the way out, I am like 99% sure it is the clutch pack which I will be checking the thickness of here in the next hour

okay guys here is the update...long story short I got the pressure hub on wrong somehow. I was taking the thing apart and I was pulling out the screws for the springs and it popped out with some force and I tightened it right back up and it worked just fine. IDK how it got assembled wrong, considering I have had that pressure palte off many times for spring changes... but this ONE time I did it wrong magically and it works now, does anybody know how that could have happened?

I blame stuff like that on birthdays :bonk:

okay guys here is the update...long story short I got the pressure hub on wrong somehow. I was taking the thing apart and I was pulling out the screws for the springs and it popped out with some force and I tightened it right back up and it worked just fine. IDK how it got assembled wrong, considering I have had that pressure palte off many times for spring changes... but this ONE time I did it wrong magically and it works now, does anybody know how that could have happened?

never messed with kawi much but on all the other bikes ive dealt with theres a arrow on the pressure plate and one on the hub . these 2 marks have to be aligned. maybe invest in a service manual ? :bonk:

If you read the thread, you would know I have done this several times with no error, it should be so simple I thought. not a pain in the ass with two marks to line up, BUT that doesnt mean to say that it shouldnt be that way...