Sign in to follow this  

The grass isn't always greener

Just wondering:

#1 - Who has went from 4T bikes to 2T only to realize that 4T was a better fit. What made you change to 2T and what made you go back to 4T?

#2 - Who has went from went from 2T bikes to 4T only to realize that 2T was a better fit. What made you change to 4T and what made you go back to 2T?

#3 - Who has given up bikes all together and went to an ATV only realize bikes are the only way to go.

I fall into the #3 category, after giving up my Suzuki RMX I swore I would never go back to bikes. I was hanging around a bunch of ATV people at the time and they convinced me that an ATV was far superior in fun, so I bit on the idea. I went through a Yamaha Warrior which is not that fun at all and a Polaris Scrambler 4wd 2T. The Polaris was a lot fun, but nothing gave me the sheer exhiliartion of the speed and hill climbing ability of a DB. Not to say I wont be going back to an ATV in the far distant future, but for now my Berg 300 is my vehicle of choice.

I went from a CRF 250 X because it was heavy, to a YZ 125 because it was light. I really learned how to ride on that 125, but at my advanced age, I don't have the reaction time to stay on the pipe.

Now, I ride a 2011 KTM 250 XC-F and love it!

I rode XR's as I learned how to ride, pretty much XR100 -> XR200 -> XR400. After a couple years with the XR, I was riding it like an MX bike and finally came to the conclusion I needed an MX bike. Tested a couple different four stroke MX bikes, but the ones I tried were too loud and really didn't wow me all that much over my XR. Better bikes, lighter and faster, but I wasn't overly impressed compared to a YZ250/KX110 I had ridden previously. Granted I only rode YZF450 and a Husaberg FE600 though.

So I got a YZ125 and had way more fun on that bike than anything else I had ever ridden up to that point. At this point I wouldn't even consider getting a MX four stroke, maybe an XR playbike or something.

I went from playing in fields and quarries on 2stroke mx bikes to a WR250F because I moved to a singletrack filled area in the Rockies. KTM didn't have a big presence in the area then and a 4 stroke trail bike seemed like the ticket.

After getting good enough at downhilling that I didn't need the engine braking I fought with it, the bike's weight, and its ergonomics/suspension while trying to get fast and good at jumping. Replacing it with a 300xc 2stroke fit my riding style much better. I was instantly faster everywhere and MUCH better at jumping and track riding.