Sign in to follow this  

KX 250 clutch reccomendations

I have a 97 kx 250 that I will be doing the clutch on this winter. The other thread about the tusk problems got me thinking. What would be the best kit for this bike. I dont know what the basket looks like but I am betting it will need replacing also. The oil plug was stripped when I got it and I feell pretty confident that it was ran low on oil. I know when I started it the first time I didnt look at the oil level and ran it with no oil showing in teh window for about 1 min. I know that these bike generally have some clutch noise, but I think this one is louder than most and it feels like the clutch is slipping a little now. I do not want any heavy springs. I have some nerve damage and other probelms with my upper body and arms and do not want a heavy clutch pull, actually the lighter the better for me.

That brings on another question also, is there a different perch or anything I can do to lighten the pull?I only ride trails at this point and cost is a factor so I dont want anything rediculously priced.

I installed a Barnett clutch in my bike. I have had no problems and I used their springs also. I didn't change my basket.

As far as clutch pull, a hydralic clutch like KTM uses would lighten up the pull. Pricey though. There used to be a product called "easy clutch" that was suppose to lighten the pull. I haven't seen it in some time.

Kawi’s OEM clutches are very good. For us weekend warriors an OEM clutch works well. Why mess with success?

I use the MSR AOF clutch perch. It has a bearing in the pivot which makes pull a bit easier.

I was about to say if you are going to redo your clutch, do it right, replace any worn out parts in your clutch pack, and get a new cable and perch/lever. this will go a LONG way to ridding your bad clutch issues.

I was about to say if you are going to redo your clutch, do it right, replace any worn out parts in your clutch pack, and get a new cable and perch/lever. this will go a LONG way to ridding your bad clutch issues.

This is what I am planning on doing. I just want reccomendations on clutch packs and perches, but dont want to spend more on the clutch than I did the bike:bonk:

Kawi’s OEM clutches are very good. For us weekend warriors an OEM clutch works well. Why mess with success?

I use the MSR AOF clutch perch. It has a bearing in the pivot which makes pull a bit easier.

+1 :bonk:

I have heard of ppl taking the throwout lever on the engine and lengthening the arm a lil bit to make the clutch easier,I'm planning on trying this soon but i have an extra arm incase I screw it up.All you have to do is cut where the cable goes and lengthen it just a bit and the leverage will make it easier.

honestly after I thought I had tusk clutch issues I would like to say tht the quality on it is not that bad. I would however recommend barnett or wiseco clutch components. Honestly when it comes to plates, I would recommend tusk

I'm a terrible clutch abuser, and typically go through a set of plates a year.

Like scottie, I also use Barnett plates and springs.

When it was time to replace my basket, I installed a Barnett basket. The stainless inserts are so wear resistant that I will likely never need another basket. A side-benefit is that because the stainless inserts are much harder than aluminum, the plates slide across them easier, so the clutch works more smoothly.

Nothing wrong with Tusk clutches. used them on 80s-450s without issue through the years.

I will tell you I have never run aftermarket springs of any brand. Had one bad experience and use the stock springs.

So tusk clutches with OEM springs. cant beat the price or performance.

I have a 97 kx 250 that I will be doing the clutch on this winter. The other thread about the tusk problems got me thinking. What would be the best kit for this bike. I dont know what the basket looks like but I am betting it will need replacing also. The oil plug was stripped when I got it and I feell pretty confident that it was ran low on oil. I know when I started it the first time I didnt look at the oil level and ran it with no oil showing in teh window for about 1 min. I know that these bike generally have some clutch noise, but I think this one is louder than most and it feels like the clutch is slipping a little now. I do not want any heavy springs. I have some nerve damage and other probelms with my upper body and arms and do not want a heavy clutch pull, actually the lighter the better for me.

That brings on another question also, is there a different perch or anything I can do to lighten the pull?I only ride trails at this point and cost is a factor so I dont want anything rediculously priced.

Then get a Rekluse, you won't be disappointed. Who needs a clutch anyway!

I'm a terrible clutch abuser, and typically go through a set of plates a year.

Like scottie, I also use Barnett plates and springs.

When it was time to replace my basket, I installed a Barnett basket. The stainless inserts are so wear resistant that I will likely never need another basket. A side-benefit is that because the stainless inserts are much harder than aluminum, the plates slide across them easier, so the clutch works more smoothly.

thats my next choice for my basket. i was thinking hinson, but i like the barnett clutches and heavy duty springs and i want to use the basket as well.

thats my next choice for my basket. i was thinking hinson, but i like the barnett clutches and heavy duty springs and i want to use the basket as well.
I honestly don't know why anyone would choose Hinson over the Barnett basket. The Hinson is nothing more than an aluminum basket that is heat treated to a greater hardness than OEM baskets. The Barnett steel inserts are truly superior to aluminum, and it's cheaper as well.

I honestly don't know why anyone would choose Hinson over the Barnett basket.

I do, because I picked up a Hinson basket for my 06 250 for $125 on closeout off of Motosport a couple months ago. :bonk: