Sign in to follow this  

Purpose of the decompression throttle?

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow night I'm picking up a 2001 XR250R and I'm still learning about it. What exactly does the decompression throttle do? The owner said to crank it, he turns on the choke, holds in the decompression throttle and kicks it 5 times to prime the engine. Then releases it and then kick to start it.

Thanks!

Warren

I use mine mostly for cold starting, just like you stated, plus if you ever happen to "flood" the carb due to any unexpected "difficulties"/wipeouts, the compression release is nice to have in order to more easily "unflood" the carb. I do this in basically 8 steps. 1. Gas in off position 2. Hold full throttle. 3. Compression release in. 4. Kickstart 10-15 times. After that. 5. Release compression release. 6. Release throttle. 7. Turn gas to on. 8. Kickstart as usual. Seems to work for me anyway. My XR400 has a bit more compression to "release" than does your XR250, but seeing as you're normally quite exhausted from trying to unsuccessfully kickstart your bike 30 times, prior to actually realizing that it's probably flooded, you'll most likely appreciate the lack of kickstart resistance that the decomp lever provides.

Edited by lseann
add

Tomorrow night I'm picking up a 2001 XR250R and I'm still learning about it. What exactly does the decompression throttle do? The owner said to crank it,

It's not a throttle. It's just a lever on the handlebars that actuates a mechanism at the head cover that in turn partially opens the right exhaust valve.