Sign in to follow this  

Stuck Clutch Lever Question

Need some help please .... My clucth lever gets stuck far out from the bars when I land big jumps. I noticed the adjuster screw wiggles forwards and backwards so I'm thinking it might being moving forward and getting caught on the rim or boot instead of engaging with the piston. If i pull really hard on the lever I hear a pop and its engaged again.

I'm assuming the adjuster screw should not be wiggling, so is there a way to tighten it or do I have to replace it? If it must be replaced can anyone tell me what number on the oem microfiche? the diagram is not clear to me, its a 1999 ktm 200 exc

Thanks!

That screw actually screws into a pin that holds the assembly in place. The little red knob on the end, that can pop on and off on its own. If the whole screw itself is moving, you've sadly stripped it out and need to replace it. I'm pretty sure that whole assembly comes with a new lever, so you might just wanna buy a new lever.

mine doesn't have a red knob, is that a knob that adjusts the screw? mine still turns so maybe the knob fell off. anyways, when the lever gets stuck away from the grip, i can push it out a little further and actually pull the screw away from the piston and then it just swivels there still attached to the lever. So you're saying its suppose to screw into a pin in the assembly to keep it engaged with the piston? the clutch works fine as long as the screw stays in place, but it comes loose on big jumps (well, big for me anyway) and I have to tug on the lever to pop it back in place.

the lever and screw look ok to me so i'm not sure what part to get. any advice?? here's the fiche.... http://cyclehuttktm.com/FicheFinderNew/FicheFinder.aspx

Thanks for the help!

Woops, I didn't know the EXC's had cable clutches in that vintage!

Umm, so lets try this again! LOL :bang head:

Have you tried adjusting the little knob to tighten the slack on the lever, does it still allow the lever to go more forward then it should be going?

If so, it sounds like your lever might be worn and the hole the screw sticks through (that holds the lever in place) is ovaled. Try taking the screw out and taking the lever out and looking at the whole the screw sticks through. I think the problem will be pretty evident then, maybe the lever is cracked in that spot and you can't see it (happens quite often)

I figured it out. The red adjuster knob is gone which allows rhe screw to move around ind not stay in contact with the piston. Now I gotta see if I can buy just the screw or the entire clutch lever with it. Thanks guys!

Thats a Magura's unit and if you unscrew the screw all the way, the knob will fall off and the lever will not stay put. I like my levers out far and its a problem with the stock unit. Sounds like you fell into the same trap I did.

You need to unscrew the nob until the screw gets threaded. Then throw some locktite on the screw end and it will be OK. Otherwise, it will come loose again on you.