Sign in to follow this  

father son helmet to helmet communication

hey guys,I need some advice,quickly if someone can help me.My son wants us to be able to communicate while we ride.both on the trail and at the track.he is 5,we ride track most of the time we also have some play areas where we like to,I know virtually nothing about this I've looked at some blue tooth intercom systems but that doesn't really seem what we need.I'm not looking to Shell out 600$ on something that seems more like an experiment for now.he wants these for Christmas so, I'm in a bit of a hurry.Is there something I can rig up with walkie talkies,or what.i dont know, I must admit it would be cool for us to be able to communicate on some of these short trails we go to,and it would be cool to give him some real time advice on the track.any input would be greatly appreciated.

There are a few companies that make the speaker and headphones that go inside the helmet and plug right into the radio. The radio is heart and soul of the unit so the better the radio the better the system. Google helmet to helmet systems and a lot comes up. There is push to talk and you have a button on your handle bars to transmit and there is also voice activated but sometimes the sound of the bike and wind noise sets it off too. Lots of options out there.

I have used small GMSR walkie talkies before. I tried voice activation and a throat mic, but that didn't work so hot.. I mounted a small Radio Shack speaker [like 1"]in the helmet next to my ear, and connected it to my walkie talkie.. That worked ok but I needed to mount the mic in my helmet and run a PTT switch to the handlebars. Kinda a pain but worked best for on the cheap.. If you just wanna talk to the kid while he is riding and you are watching that would work great if it was one way communication..

hey guys,I need some advice,quickly if someone can help me.My son wants us to be able to communicate while we ride.both on the trail and at the track.he is 5,we ride track most of the time we also have some play areas where we like to,I know virtually nothing about this I've looked at some blue tooth intercom systems but that doesn't really seem what we need.I'm not looking to Shell out 600$ on something that seems more like an experiment for now.he wants these for Christmas so, I'm in a bit of a hurry.Is there something I can rig up with walkie talkies,or what.i dont know, I must admit it would be cool for us to be able to communicate on some of these short trails we go to,and it would be cool to give him some real time advice on the track.any input would be greatly appreciated.

I remember a few years back we had some Motorola walkie talkies with VOX headsets that worked great for when we were hunting. Try a google search and see what happens :bonk:

thanks guys for the fast response,I went to radio shack and looked,they had headsets for the walkie talkies but I dont think he would be able to push the button on it while he is riding.

swede73 that thing looks awsome.but 200$ then I have to but a radio for another 200 bucks thats still a little high for right now.zilla are saying just get him a head set hook it up to the other walkie talkie strap it to him turn it on and that way I could talk to him but he would not be able to talk to me,Right? Do I understand you correctly?because thats not a bad Idea.

Yup.. I'd mount the PTT on the handlebar where you can reach it with a finger.. I'd also use an audio jack for quick disconnect..This is the speaker I used.. I put velcro on the back and in the helmet to mount it. I had to solder wires on and a plug.

speaker

thanks again swede73 and zilla.That's more along the lines I'm ready for.This is something I just want to try out,and if it works for us great then maybe next year we can invest a little more into it,but for now I just want to keep it basic and cheap to see it's something we enjoy.I've talked to a few reps for some of the bluetooth stuff and nobody seems of much help,seems some of the systems are intended more for passenger to driver sort of stuff,and everything else I looked at was way out of the price range I wanted to spend or it did not describe the product very well.and I would hate to spend any amount of money,especially on Christmas just realize,oh wait we need this or that,and not have it work,or worse buy some sort of junk that ends up in a crate never to be used again,and being burnt on something we could have enjoyed over a bad purchase.So thanks again guys,any more advise is welcome.I'm gonna keep looking.

Edited by colt100
forgot something

The gmsr radios they sell at sporting goods stores suck. I have several I bought for scouting. They are supposed to have a 26 mile range. In the woods the range is less than 1/2 mile. And I tried to use them in a convoy once, 5 vehicles, line of site on a wide open freeway, last vehicle could see the first, commo was spotty at best.

haha,thanks jakesblues,I'll keep that in mind,I did notice the ones at radio shack said 35 mile range,and I was thinking wow,we'll never get no where near that far from each other.

• Like 1