Sign in to follow this  

Alternate Bike

I own a '93 XR600 with the 630 big bore kit, and love the torque and compression, however, i also sometimes ride single trail, which is really unsuited to the big girl.

i cant bring myself to sell her, as shes part of the family, was given to me by my brother, and i got her running again after a 10 year idle period, but i do sometimes think about getting something lighter and more nimble. i destroyed my foot crushing it between a tree and the clutch case trying to keep up with a young bloke on a cr250 in single trail, i ran out of energy and talent.

i cant bring myself to ride 2 stroke, because i love compression braking, and bottom end torque. im the only 4 stroke in our riding group, and have ridden some of the 2 strokes, (gasgas300 and a rmx250) but i just hate that feeling of no stopping without getting all over your brakes.

the guys reckon my XR is like a v8 lounge chair compared to thier 2 strokes, but they love the XR's ability to pick a gear and climb anything, while they stuff around with feathering throttles and clutches and all that crap.

do you guys have any suggestions? im 6'2" and 110kgs (242lbs) so i dont want to drop back to a tiny little bike.

Not really,,,If I was rich I'd have a CRF450,,4 stroke obviously,,Love the sound and love what seems to be gobs of power and trackability..,The things seem to jump about all over the show at full noise but hardly ever end up crashed,,blokes just apply more power and away they go in a straight line again.,Must have amazing handling as any older bike I've ridden in slimey conditions you'd end up trashed beneath the beast. in similar situations.,Yet to ride one,,might get lucky at a local MX sometime and bludge a go,.

You and I are the same size. I have an old trusty XR500 and like you say, it's too big and heavy for any meaningful distance of tight single track trail riding. So I have an XR400 as backup. It's only a bit lighter but the suspension is a little better and I have it geared down for better climbing power (48t rear sprocket).... it just feels *way* lighter than the 500. So if you cannot afford 2 bikes, either live with the hefty girl or get an XR400, it's arguably the best do-everything dirt bike ever made.

realistically, i think i will end up buying a CRF450 and keeping the old girl for shooting trips, as the soft forgiving suspension would be perfect for rough terrain getting to pig and goat shooting areas and then have the CRF450 for dedicated riding.

i guess what i was asking was will a 250F be underwhelming? or will the 450 be basically the same issue with weight and size as the 600?

i posted this on the XR600 forum, but thought i would put it here for some feedback from CRF450 owners

I own a '93 XR600 with the 630 big bore kit, and love the torque and compression, however, i also sometimes ride single trail, which is really unsuited to the big girl.

i cant bring myself to sell her, as shes part of the family, was given to me by my brother, and i got her running again after a 10 year idle period, but i do sometimes think about getting something lighter and more nimble. i destroyed my foot crushing it between a tree and the clutch case trying to keep up with a young bloke on a cr250 in single trail, i ran out of energy and talent.

i cant bring myself to ride 2 stroke, because i love compression braking, and bottom end torque. im the only 4 stroke in our riding group, and have ridden some of the 2 strokes, (gasgas300 and a rmx250) but i just hate that feeling of no stopping without getting all over your brakes.

the guys reckon my XR is like a v8 lounge chair compared to thier 2 strokes, but they love the XR's ability to pick a gear and climb anything, while they stuff around with feathering throttles and clutches and all that crap.

do you guys have any suggestions? im 6'2" and 110kgs (242lbs) so i dont want to drop back to a tiny little bike.

realistically, i think i will end up buying a CRF450 and keeping the old girl for shooting trips, as the soft forgiving suspension would be perfect for rough terrain getting to pig and goat shooting areas and then have the CRF450 for dedicated riding.

i guess what i was asking was will a 250F be underwhelming? or will the 450 be basically the same issue with weight and size as the 600?

thoughts?

ive got a ZX6R for road riding, so i dont need or want road registerable components, which is why i was thinking R

i posted this on the XR600 and CRF450 forum, but then i thought, why am i limiting myself to only the 2 rider groups, i should throw it open to all riders of all makes.

note: 2 stroke riders, this is not a dig at you, it is a personal preference for my riding style.

i cant bring myself to sell her, as shes part of the family, was given to me by my brother, and i got her running again after a 10 year idle period, but i do sometimes think about getting something lighter and more nimble. i destroyed my foot crushing it between a tree and the clutch case trying to keep up with a young bloke on a cr250 in single trail, i ran out of energy and talent. the weight combined with me not knowing the trail brought be undone

realistically, i think i will end up buying a 450 and keeping the old girl for shooting trips, as the soft forgiving suspension would be perfect for rough open terrain getting to pig and goat shooting areas and then have the 450 for dedicated riding.

thoughts?

The 450 will handle better and be lighter than your XR6hundo. A 250F would seem underwhelming to you for sure, especially if you don't want to have to feather the clutch.

I know a CRF 450 is a lot lighter, with a ton of power!! I have a 85 XL 600. I have ridden a few CRF 450's and the difference is night and day. It was described to me like ridding a tractor; then getting on a big bore 2 stroke going wide open.

i posted this on the XR600 and CRF450 forum, but then i thought, why am i limiting myself to only the 2 rider groups, i should throw it open to all riders of all makes.

note: 2 stroke riders, this is not a dig at you, it is a personal preference for my riding style.

thoughts?

You are way over-thinking this. Buy a 2008 CRF450f and set it up for your riding needs.

Done.

get the crf 450, I have 95 xr 600 and my brother has a 450. when i get on his bike i feel like im riding a pedal bike. cat walking in 5th's not bad either, its an awsome bike.

You are way over-thinking this. Buy a 2008 CRF450f and set it up for your riding needs.

Done.

+1

Love my 08 CRF 450R! Not difficult to dial in the suspension. Great handling bike.

The 09 and newer feel and handle like 250s with crazy power. My crf250r doesn't have enough power, but my detuned (and modded) crf450r is awsome.

Had the control module reprogrammed to take out some low end snap. added flywheel weight, throttle cam, hydraulic clutch.

Can't imagine a better bike (exept for desert riding).

I say get a 450 but consider a Yamaha for reliability.

250f will probably dissapoint.

For my perspective, I race northern Nevada desert on a 08 YZ450 (Novice). It can be a lot of bike for my ability, but really only when I'm tired. I couldn't imagine trying to ride an XR600:eek: I've thought about a KTM300 or even 200 for lighter weight, but I do like the engine braking of the 4T. And, well, just can't afford to setup a new bike:bonk:

Since you already tried a 300 2T I say get a 450. The updated chassis and suspension would probably make a world of difference.

Crf450x, wr450, drz400e, or a ktm 400 or 450. I've always been a fan of 400cc 4t's or detuned 450's for semi casual trail riding.