Sign in to follow this  

ttr125 heavy carbon and oil 180psi comp

Just got a new ttr125 today and it smokes heavy. Pulled the exhaust to clean the oil and carbon out, saw that the exhaust port was filled with carbon build up. Pulled the plug and it's wet with oil. Did a compression test and got 180psi in +/-6 kicks. I assume the valve seals are bad but it's a 2005 and that seems really premature to me. I'm not familiar with these bikes so I'm just wondering if there are any known issues that may be at play here.

Thanks guys

Cleaned out the exhaust, cleaned the ports with deepcreep and ran it today. Still smokes pretty bad, way worse hard on the throttle. I suppose I'll order a gasket set, valve seals, and valve guides. Are bent valves a reocurring issue in these heads?

Cleaned out the exhaust, cleaned the ports with deepcreep and ran it today. Still smokes pretty bad, way worse hard on the throttle. I suppose I'll order a gasket set, valve seals, and valve guides. Are bent valves a reocurring issue in these heads?

With regular maintenancet the little TTR is pretty much bullet proof, not sure how much abuse it would take to bend a valve. As far as the burning oil issue, if the oil looks black, I'd try changing the oil first to see if that helps, as ya never know how long it's been there. Oil burning issues are almost always caused by infrequent oil changes and/or running them out of oil at one time or another resulting in worn rings and cylinder bore. The tell tail sign of leaking valves seals or worn guides will be a puff of smoke when the bike is first started but the smoking general stops once the bike is warmed up. Is the smoke blue or black?

White would be more accurate. I guess it could be blue if it had to be anything , not black at all though. I did the compression test and got almost 180psi, so I am pretty sure the rings and bore are good, the smoke continues the whole time the bike is running and is definetly worse during harder acceleration. I just find it hard to believe the valve seals could be bad on a bike this young.