Sign in to follow this  

may have screwed up bad, need some help!

Alright, I'm adjusting my valves and as I was putting the cam retainer cap thing back on I dropped one of the dowel pins that line it up down into the crankcase, fml, so to get it out am I gonna have to tear my entire engine apart?

I forgot something, it fell in the little hole next to the spark plug hole, I can't see it though so I think it fell in the crankcase, but I'm not sure. Any help?

you mean that round hole next to spark plug hole? that is just a blind hole with a plug in it right? just stick a magnet down there n grab it.

yep, get one of those little extendable magnets and look around for it

I am not kidding, must have been about 3 hours ago. Only mine dropped down into the cam chain area. After trying an extendable magnet without success, I was thinking about tipping the bike upside down...oh brother! Instead, just like what was mentioned by another poster, I removed the stator cover--thus exposing the lower sprocket of the cam chain--and sure enough there on the back of the flywheel was the dowel...phew! You will have to either tip the bike over on its right side or drain your oil to take the stator cover off to avoid any spillage of oil.

If the dowel did not go into the cam chain area, you may still be able to retrieve it using a magnet.

The key here is that you have options that do not involve tearing the motor down. No need to fret, my man.

Good luck.

Chris

---------------------------------------

Ron Paul 2012

Edited by race250r
I am a stickler for punctuation.

dont tilt the bike to the right! there is a little drain hole at the back of the stator side of the crankcase and it might go in there! put the bike on a triangle stand on the chain side and pull the stator cover, I dropped something down there once(cam guide half ring thing) and I just pulled the stator cover and it fell right out. bolted back up and continued working, bikes good a year later!

I am not kidding, must have been about 3 hours ago. Only mine dropped down into the cam chain area. After trying an extendable magnet without success, I was thinking about tipping the bike upside down...oh brother! Instead, just like what was mentioned by another poster, I removed the stator cover--thus exposing the lower sprocket of the cam chain--and sure enough there on the back of the flywheel was the dowel...phew! You will have to either tip the bike over on its right side or drain your oil to take the stator cover off to avoid any spillage of oil.

If the dowel did not go into the cam chain area, you may still be able to retrieve it using a magnet.

The key here is that you have options that do not involve tearing the motor down. No need to fret, my man.

Good luck.

Chris

---------------------------------------

Ron Paul 2012

Do not tip the bike upside down.. take the stator cover off. even with your magnet you may not fish it out if it made it to the flywheel.. it's magnetized and well it has more pull then you're little magnet on a string..

tip the bike slightly to the right [if its an 09-12] if it's a 04-08 drain the oil and do not tip it.. as the 09-10-11-12 have a oil screen preventing anything getting into the cases from the stator side.. the 04-8 do not.. at anyrate pull the stator cover and you will probably see it stuck to the flywheel.. if not then it will be behind it it's there just look.. flipping the bike upside down wont do anything..