Full rebuild question

Just putting my bike back together after splitting the cases for the first time to replace the crank and all the bearings within after my clutch exploded into a million pieces. I just installed my transmission but I'm unclear as to how to test to make sure it's all together correctly before I seal the cases together again. First off, should the shift drum slip into the slot on the left side of the case where the neutral switch is? Mine seems to not want to. Second, should you be able to turn the shift drum by hand when you're rotating the gears once it's in place? Mine seem really really hard to turn right now as it sits. Last, when I spin the gears they all rotate together smoothly but after a few rotations they stop suddenly. I can rotate them back the opposite direction again a few rotations but then they stop again. Is this what I should expect?

I might be of a little help. First here is a pic of mine before I put the side back on. Might be able to see enough to help you double check some things. On the shift drum - since the YZF slides the fork shafts inside the case and not just the forks on the shafts you might have to have the cases together to get support on both ends of the shaft to prevent binding. I'm thinking this might be why you can't turn the drum by hand. As for the turning a revolution or so and locking, that seems familar. I think since you don't have the actual drum ratchet / cam assembly on the drum itself isn't indexed in the postion it need to be in and you may be in two gears at the same time - that's what I'm thinking anyway. It will rotate a bit because there is some play in the dogs and slots from gear - gear. As a quick double check, stick the other side case on without sealer and just a few bolts. Then stick the cam assembly and the spring loaded roller on so it indexes the drum properly and see what happens. I'm sure others that have more experience with this will chime in and provide some more help. Clay

100_1348.jpg

What Nuity said. The way I do it is put the cases together and sinch 2 bolts on opposite sides. Then I spin the clutch shaft by hand and shift the shifter and make sure it will ratchet thru ALL 5 gears and back to neutral. If it sticks anywhere in the movement, I pull it appart and find out why its stuck. If the bearings are too loose, then it will engauge 2 gears or jam 2 shift forks in the drum. Inspect the forks carefully and replace any that are worn on the sides, bent, or replace any gear that has broken teeth or gear dogs. Good luck.