Sign in to follow this  

1993 cr250 suitable for hare scramble?

Hello everybody, first thread on here! but like the title says i have a 1993 cr250 that i purchased a few months ago. I am looking into doing some hare scrambles next year, not looking to go professional or anything like that. Just looking to see what i can do competing against other riders.

For the most part as far as i can tell the bike is just about dead stock except for some aftermarket plastics. It even has the stock exhaust and silencer so for this next year i'll probably stick with that but am looking to eventually get an fmf gnarley pipe. planning on getting a pipe guard, bark busters, and maybe a frame guard? we'll see whats in the budget. anything else you guys can think of and any race tips would be very much appreciated!

Yea... I mean, I don't see why not. These bikes are pretty much indestructible. I've seen many a 90's 2 strokes in better condition than new ones. Just all depends on the owner. I myself have a 98 cr250 with the newer aluminum frame style and I've found that MOST people prefer the steel framed CR like yours. Last year of it was 96 I believe but basically they say it is WAY less rigid feeling. People love that bike. I would definitely hang on to her to. You should throw a wiseco pro lite in the top end, do reeds, pack the silencer, all fluids regularly and just replace anything that isn't cherry. That bike is more than capable of a hare scramble as well as a full on supercross race. 80% rider 20% machine. Good luck with the bike and take care of her!

Oh and btw, good luck finding aftermarket plastics/graphics/whatever. It's out there but takes a little work to find.

Yea... I mean, I don't see why not. These bikes are pretty much indestructible. I've seen many a 90's 2 strokes in better condition than new ones. Just all depends on the owner. I myself have a 98 cr250 with the newer aluminum frame style and I've found that MOST people prefer the steel framed CR like yours. Last year of it was 96 I believe but basically they say it is WAY less rigid feeling. People love that bike. I would definitely hang on to her to. You should throw a wiseco pro lite in the top end, do reeds, pack the silencer, all fluids regularly and just replace anything that isn't cherry. That bike is more than capable of a hare scramble as well as a full on supercross race. 80% rider 20% machine. Good luck with the bike and take care of her!

Oh and btw, good luck finding aftermarket plastics/graphics/whatever. It's out there but takes a little work to find.

No kidding the plastics/graphics are hard to find!!!

But ya, not too interested in racing motocross/supercross, if some friends go to a track for fun then i'll tag along but other wise its trails for me! But ya, eventually i will start going through the motor and do whatever it needs. Hoping to get a better job in the next couple of months that will support my motorcycling habits better! :bonk: And i have no intention of selling it, mainly because it is a very capable machine and theres no reason to sell it, but i mainly bought it to have fun on with my friends! (I've always ridden street bikes but they all ride in the dirt still) I got tired of borrowing a bike cause if something happened to it i'd be putting money into a bike that isn't even mine.

Thanks for the replies guys! Definitely seems like a good forum and a friendly atmosphere here!

Hello everybody, first thread on here! but like the title says i have a 1993 cr250 that i purchased a few months ago. I am looking into doing some hare scrambles next year, not looking to go professional or anything like that. Just looking to see what i can do competing against other riders.

For the most part as far as i can tell the bike is just about dead stock except for some aftermarket plastics. It even has the stock exhaust and silencer so for this next year i'll probably stick with that but am looking to eventually get an fmf gnarley pipe. planning on getting a pipe guard, bark busters, and maybe a frame guard? we'll see whats in the budget. anything else you guys can think of and any race tips would be very much appreciated!

I have an enduro skid plate for that bike if you are interested. I will sell it cheap. It has never been mounted on a bike but is not cosmetically new because it sat in an overstock bin for a long time. PM me if you are interested.

No kidding the plastics/graphics are hard to find!!!

But ya, not too interested in racing motocross/supercross, if some friends go to a track for fun then i'll tag along but other wise its trails for me! But ya, eventually i will start going through the motor and do whatever it needs. Hoping to get a better job in the next couple of months that will support my motorcycling habits better! :bonk: And i have no intention of selling it, mainly because it is a very capable machine and theres no reason to sell it, but i mainly bought it to have fun on with my friends! (I've always ridden street bikes but they all ride in the dirt still) I got tired of borrowing a bike cause if something happened to it i'd be putting money into a bike that isn't even mine.

Thanks for the replies guys! Definitely seems like a good forum and a friendly atmosphere here!

Check Throttle Jockey for graphics, I think they still offer the 1-800-COLLECT graphics McGrath ran in '95, which look awsesome IMO.

Yep, get all the guards and make sure everything is working properly and you should have a bike that's still competitive.

Check Throttle Jockey for graphics, I think they still offer the 1-800-COLLECT graphics McGrath ran in '95, which look awsesome IMO.

Yep, get all the guards and make sure everything is working properly and you should have a bike that's still competitive.

The Throttle Jockey kit requires that you use the 95-96 Radiator shrouds. I think that Motosport.com offers plastics for the 93. On my 94 125, I did the whole plastic conversion to 95-97 125 plastics. I like the look of newer plastics anyway.

Spend your limited funds on things you actually need, such as bark busters and a skid plate and suspension.

The 1993 engine and chassis are good, but the forks will be a weak link. It's probably cheapest in the long run to just swap on some 2002+ forks from a CR or CRF. At the minimum, you'll need much heavier springs in the stock forks. The forks are waaay undersprung, which actually makes for a very harsh feeling.

I agree about swapping on the forks, along with what I originally said about the top end. However, I do not think that bark busters are a must. I think they are for teh ghey! LoL jk but it's all up to you. Other than that, I'd definitely check the reeds and re-pack your silencer along with checking for any gasket replacements that are needed.

Also go on and do all of the maintenance. Gear oil, air filter, spark plug, radiator fluid, all chassis and wheel bearings, fork seals, etc etc etc

I'm planning on doing the fork seals next year sometime, there fine for right now, but do you think putting heavier springs in the shocks will help at all? but ya, probably going to get new sprocket this next year too, the one on it is wearing down a bit. The immediate fix right now is getting a new tube in the front tire, took it out last weekend and managed to blow, what i'm guessing, is a pretty big hole in the tube. Air was going in as fast as it was coming out haha.

I'm planning on doing the fork seals next year sometime, there fine for right now, but do you think putting heavier springs in the shocks will help at all? but ya, probably going to get new sprocket this next year too, the one on it is wearing down a bit. The immediate fix right now is getting a new tube in the front tire, took it out last weekend and managed to blow, what i'm guessing, is a pretty big hole in the tube. Air was going in as fast as it was coming out haha.

You need the right springs for your weight in forks/shock, if your somewhere in the 155-175 lb range the stock springs are probably close enough. The right springs and a revalve will really help make an MX bike work offroad. And as the others mentioned, a later fork would be an improvement, but unless you find some CRF250/450x forks, the valving will still be harsh for offroad.

If your sprocket is worn out, that means your chain and front sprocket are also worn out. Get a quality O-ring (or X-ring) chain and new sprockets, the stock gearing or 1 tooth bigger on rear sprocket should work good for scrambles. HD tubes are also a good investment for an offroad bike.

If your on a limited budget, I'd direct your money toward suspension (includes swing arm & link bearings), chain/sprockets, tires/HD tubes, hand guards and a new top end if needed. You may also need a spark arrester type silencer as well.

yeah my son runs a 93 cr125 for harescrambles and he does fine, look into getting a skidplate too.

I've got a friend who does them on his 94 and he loves it. He put on a fly-wheel weight, skid plate, hand guards, oversized tank and he shortened his bars, that's it. Stock pipe but his carb. is properly jetted. I think all the time about setting my 92 cr250 up exactly like it because it's a dream in the woods.:bonk:

Edit* Most important mod is setting up suspension for your weight/riding style/terrain.

Use the racetech spring rate calculator http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Honda/CR250R/1993

I just went through this with my 1993. The stock fork springs are a way soft 0.39, and you'll probably want about a 0.45 if you're average weight. That's several steps higher. Light springs counterintuitively make the forks feel extremely harsh; the CRF450R forks I now run, with strong 0.47 springs, feel plush in comparison. That's how bad the stock forks will feel.

But by the time you pay $100 for new springs, it's not too much more for a complete 2002+ front end.

Now when you guys say "harsh", are you saying that they're too stiff or too soft? I'm sorry, i'm new to dirt bike'ing and don't know a lot of the terminology yet. I have not had a lot of saddle time yet because of the bad winter weather and such, but as far as i can tell i don't really mind the suspension. But then again, I havn't really ridden a lot of motocross bikes to compare it too. I have ridden my buddies '99 rm250 and that thing was stinking rough in the woulds, I'm a solid 200#'s and it was stiff as heck.

But thanks for all of the help guys! keep it coming!

Now when you guys say "harsh", are you saying that they're too stiff or too soft? I'm sorry, i'm new to dirt bike'ing and don't know a lot of the terminology yet. I have not had a lot of saddle time yet because of the bad winter weather and such, but as far as i can tell i don't really mind the suspension. But then again, I havn't really ridden a lot of motocross bikes to compare it too. I have ridden my buddies '99 rm250 and that thing was stinking rough in the woulds, I'm a solid 200#'s and it was stiff as heck.

But thanks for all of the help guys! keep it coming!

Harsh meaning that the valving doesn't allow the suspension to smoothly react to the small impacts you encounter on trails like rocks and roots. This generally causes the tires to bounce off stuff and transmits impacts back the rider instead of smoothly absorbing it. Using stock springs at your weight would generally have you compensating by pinching off the compression valving to aid the springs, making matters worse. That's why the proper springs rates are so important.