Sign in to follow this  

California closure riding trails

The hard fact about politician it take money for then do anything . had anyone try to put together a p. a. c. political action committee . Would think motorcycle manufacture , dealer , after market parts dealer would want to keep riding trail open .Just thinking

Edited by john lee

^^^^^^^^

What'd he say?????

:bonk:

awwww, c'mon... it's not that bad. And it is important. Here, let me make it easier on you:

The hard fact about politicians is that it takes money for them to do anything. Has anyone tried to put together a PAC (political action committee)? I would think motorcycle manufactures, dealers, and after-market parts resellers would want to keep riding trails open. I'm just thinking out-loud here.

It's a good point John. And, as a matter of fact, someone has started a PAC for off-roading: Don Amador. He is also involved in the BRC and used to be the OHV commissioner (or whatever it's called). I got an email about the Trail PAC a while ago, but I can't find it. A search should turn up the URL, or maybe Don will chime in.

Merry Christmas everybody.

regards,

Jack

How much money is in the pac now? which fights or expenditures have happened in the last 2 years?

http://clorv.org/ This is not something new, CLORV pac has been around

many years, and has in the past produced many voter guides, Im not

sure where they are on it this year, but its not a new concept

CORVA and Cal 4x4 im hearing are going to host lobby day this year

D37 usually in involved, some of the other ORGs have taken thier own

path on this (witch is fine by me, the more the better) or some ORGs

have completely dropped off the radar on this

Wayne

Wayne,

TPAC is a national OHV fed-only PAC. CLORV is a state PAC.

Both are good and needed.

Don

Edited by cuttenkid
typo

Wayne,

TPAC is a national OHV fed-only PAC. CLORV is a state PAC.

Both are good and needed.

Don

don trail pac funding and dispersements are controlled by you? to a consulting firm in washington who helps folks get ellected or promote a political profile to individuals. Since you are the primary donor are you getting ready to run for office? The folks at capital effects havent shown any work on trail issues in the past 10 years. As we all know Corva is very active on issues. Tell us more about how long trail pac has been involved on our dirt bike issues?

jason smith

Jason,

I have been involved in off-road issues/politics since 1990. TPAC is just a few months old. CORVA, CAL4, D36/37, etc. are great state groups and do super jobs. However, they never started a federal PAC that donates only to pro-trail federal candidates.

Federal PACs and State PACS have different rules and goals. As you know, TPAC has been endorsed by several high profile politicians (Judge Craig Manson and Senator Hollingsworth) and racers such as Chris Carter and Jeff Fredette.

Thanks for the feedback.

Don

The problem I see with all this, and all due respect to BRC, is our side

will never compete with the green lobby contributions to candidates Fed or state

Just look at the shape we are in this state, Our new governor is really

showing his true colors catering to the "save the world" Zealots

No disrespect, just opinion

Our voting power is needed this year more than ever

Wayne

Jason,

I have been involved in off-road issues/politics since 1990. TPAC is just a few months old. CORVA, CAL4, D36/37, etc. are great state groups and do super jobs. However, they never started a federal PAC that donates only to pro-trail federal candidates.

Federal PACs and State PACS have different rules and goals. As you know, TPAC has been endorsed by several high profile politicians (Judge Craig Manson and Senator Hollingsworth) and racers such as Chris Carter and Jeff Fredette.

Thanks for the feedback.

Don

so which candidates has trail pac donated to? I see a $2000 dispersement from them to a firm in washington. Who decides the candidate to support?

It costs money to file FEC forms, build websites, etc. all of which have to be paid for by TPAC. The donations from a lot of folks in the TPAC moneybomb in Dec. should mean I don't have to pay for it myself. Just as when you run for office... most of the time the person that starts the PAC has to fund it for awhile until donations come in and the PAC is able to form a board, create voter guides, etc.

Thanks for asking.

Since you are the primary donor are you getting ready to run for office?

Not answered.... Love to know as well.

I think many folks would be more excited to get involved behind a candidate or representative that makes a fight for ohv rights. Pacs are suspicious at best and most often 1 person directs the money without any input from the donors. I wish there was a group here in california that could be trusted to actually open closed trails or keep a area from slipping into a barbed wire fenced corridor that is policed as if we are all criminals.

No way. I did it once and that was enough.

:smirk::smirk: Thanks for the answer.

I think many folks would be more excited to get involved behind a candidate or representative that makes a fight for ohv rights. Pacs are suspicious at best and most often 1 person directs the money without any input from the donors. I wish there was a group here in california that could be trusted to actually open closed trails or keep a area from slipping into a barbed wire fenced corridor that is policed as if we are all criminals.

:bonk::thumbsup:

I wrote this response 4 years ago; I just stumbled across it now.  I thought I'd post it up now that I've calmed down a little.
=============================================================================

(I starting writing this before the last election cycle... but decided to hold my tongue (and irritation) until some time passed...)

I think many folks would be more excited to get involved behind a candidate or representative that makes a fight for ohv rights.

Yeah, its called campaigning- right? A PAC is a separate tactic that might not involve direct public commitment (the big 4 Japanese companies are loath to be seen directly involved in American politics). Politicians rarely lead a fight, rather they are recruited by the promise of votes (money) or public sway.

don trail pac funding and dispersements are controlled by you? to a consulting firm in washington who helps folks get ellected or promote a political profile to individuals. Since you are the primary donor are you getting ready to run for office? [seriously?- do you really think anybody who controls or even is involved in a PAC is allowed to hold office!?]
How much money is in the pac now? which fights or expenditures have happened in the last 2 years? (...embellishment) how about your tax returns for the last 7 years? Please detail any traveling you may have done (business or pleasure). It's not that I don't trust you, I just want to be sure that my 10 bucks is put to good use

...and

Pacs are suspicious at best and most often 1 person directs the money without any input from the donors.

....wait- what?! You do realize that the whole raison d'être behind single-issue PACs is to get access to those candidates and incumbents who could be persuaded to see our point of view for the right number of dollars (or for the right number of votes; which will never happen because we're too busy with all of the in-fighting). So implying that any PAC should be open and fully disclosed is the exact opposite of what politicians want (or need)... ….AND is also the exact opposite of how PACs operate.

We already have off-road grass-roots organizations, regional and national groups, voter pamphlets, letter-writing campaigns; let's get a key to the politician’s back-door (like the Sierra Club has) and admit democracy has been subverted. This is the most effective weapon we could have, and so far it's missing from our arsenal. Our enemies (Big Green, especially) have been using it for DECADES.

If you wanna shine the righteous light of truth, justice and the American way on something, pick something worthwhile: campaign reform, green power, redistricting, yada-yada. But asking for this kind of information from a new PAC formed to fight OUR fight, on a public forum, is ludicrous- and laughable. As is asking for the bona fides of a guy who has been in the battle for a couple of decades and shows that you need to get into the game.

Or just watch The Colbert Report; Stephen has been doing a good job of shining that light on the evil that PACs wrought.

I wish there was a group here in california that could be trusted to actually open closed trails or keep a area from slipping into a barbed wire fenced corridor that is policed as if we are all criminals

Jason, it's totally up to you, dude. Get involved (especially locally). Vote. Call. Join. Write. Show up at protests. Poach- for the hell of it, or as a form of legitimate protest (yep, Bill- I've been doing for years, and will continue). Contribute. And if you already do: I salute you.

And if you're new to the battle, be prepared to be frustrated- especially by riders on our own side: hell, this thread's first responses started with spelling flames.

Okay, back on topic: Anybody work for Yamaha or Honda or MIC that can kick down some real money so we can buy some votes?

You do know you just replied to a post last commented on when Abraham Lincoln was in office right ?

Hey SOS, you did actually take the time to READ the post where in fact Trenchcoat said in the VERY FIRST LINE:

I wrote this response 4 years ago; I just stumbled across it now.  I thought I'd post it up now that I've calmed down a little.

Jeff, either get in the land use fight or stay on the sidelines... but don't become parasitic drag by posting unhelpful crap chipped beef. :lame:

Sheesh. I've been on TT for like almost 15 years; no wonder I don't come around anymore. :banghead:

For the rest of you guys interested in saving our access, Trenchcoat is right (as is John Lee and Cuttenkid- Don Amador): get involved locally.  Let 'em feel the pressure.  But for 'em to feel it in Washington DC, we gotta elect people who see things our way: a political action committee is one of these ways.

...and let's quit jumping on our own.

Edited by SuperSurfaceGoldFace
  • Like 1