426 is blowing white smoke!!

My babied 02 YZ426 with only 40 original hours on it is starting to blow white smoke. after the last ride I noticed it lost some of its power. Ive heard its the headgasket or valve seals or something along those lines. Is that the issue, and could someone give me a rough span of the repair costs? Thanks guys, RIDE BLUE.

Does the smoke have a particular odor? It's usually pretty easy to destinguish the difference between burning oil and coolant fumes.

If the hours are truly that low, I can't imagine piston/cylinder wear would be an issue.

One of the regulars here had a low hour '07 that ran something up the bore with the piston and ended up with an audible piston noise and oil consumption, but you're right; it would be rare.

The point about the odor is a good one. Coolant definitely smells distinctively different than oil. Also, coolant "smoke" is actually steam, and like steam, it will tend to disappear into the air (faster when it's warmer out), whereas oil smoke drifts away and dissipates by thinning out. There is reasonably little of either fluid in the system, and the level of one or the other should be dropping noticeably.

No way to know, but the clearing of condensed moisture that is common to car exhausts on cold mornings is fairly rare in off-road motorcycle because there isn't as large an internal surface area in the pipe.

In any case, the difference between steam and smoke still applies, and a brief puff of smoke on cold start up is usually a sign of valve guide seals letting oil run down the valve stems while the bike sits.