Good cold weather riding jacket?

I use a factory Kawasaki street bike jacket. Might sound strange but with a removable warm liner, zippered ventilation, built in removable armor with spine protection and plenty of pockets, it really works well. As a plus, I got mine for $100. They're around $300 at the dealer. It's tough, light and great for riding in mountains with large temperature changes.

For riding trails? I want something decent, but affordable. Some of the ones I'm seeing, like the Klim jackets, are almost $1000 which is well beyond what I want to spend. Any suggestions? I'm in TX, and don't ride in weather below freezing. Something with vents that con be zipped up would be nice.

Ordinarily, I'd tell you to go to a ski shop and buy a ski/snowboard shell. They are rugged, don't pass any wind, and many times are vented. However, I'm guessing you don't have any ski shops in TX...

Something like this might be just perfect:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKI-DOO-Sport-Shell-Snowmobile-Pullover-Blue-Choose-Size-NEW-non-current-style-/150708935831?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&var=&hash=item68c8f841fa#ht_876wt_1103

JayC

Ordinarily, I'd tell you to go to a ski shop and buy a ski/snowboard shell. They are rugged, don't pass any wind, and many times are vented. However, I'm guessing you don't have any ski shops in TX...

Something like this might be just perfect:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKI-DOO-Sport-Shell-Snowmobile-Pullover-Blue-Choose-Size-NEW-non-current-style-/150708935831?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&var=&hash=item68c8f841fa#ht_876wt_1103

JayC

Actually, we do have a couple of ski shops here in the metroplex. I have no idea how they stay in business, lol. I guess the rich people who take ski vacations regularly. That ski doo jacket may be the ticket.

I dont know if MSR still makes the Pak Jak. I picked one up a few years ago. For what it is, that jacket does the job real nice. Folds up into itself too. Rode in the snow and cold temps over the weekend. Had to open it up because it was getting me too warm. Maybe MSR has a new design jacket.

I have a Fieldsheer jacket I bought a couple of years ago, I think it was Motorcyclesuperstore.com on clearance for something like 150 for the street bike, rarely wear it. If it is cold enough for that jacket I don't care to ride.

On the dirt bike with the calories burned I have ridden comfortably with a long sleeve t-shirt, jersey and a hoodie over that in mid 20 degree weather. I also am a Tx rider.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=463&navTitle=Adventure-Riding+Gear&webCatId=58&keyword=a.r.c.+jacket&prodFamilyId=27927

Got one last year and it's perfect..... Sleeves will come off if need be and the whole things folds up into it's own bag if need be.... No wind or rain can get through because you adjust everything once you put it on...... I wear this is, a pair of long johns, use the plastic glove under the gloves trick, and a face mask that covers my mouth/nose and the only thing that gets cold is my feet...

The big question is do you want water resistant or waterproof? If you want waterproof, then the MSR Attack at $179 in jakeblues post is a great jacket. Lots of vents and very durable. Depending on where you ride, a non riding specific jacket might not hold up. I ride tight single track and we have lots of multiflora rose in the undergrowth. That stuff shreds most clothing, but the tough fabrics of the Attack still looks new after several thrash sessions in the woods, including a couple races where I am pretty willing to ride through it rather than around it.

I have a Thor Ride jacket that is warm, waterproof, durable, and has lots of vents. But I've found for most cool/cold riding that a waterproof shell over my chest protectors is warm enough, and it is easy to stow. In addition I use different weight jerseys for different situations. I bought my last shell at a big box outfitter store.

If you want to experiment go to a used clothing store and buy a used shell, little money if you don't like it or it gets damaged.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=463&navTitle=Adventure-Riding+Gear&webCatId=58&keyword=a.r.c.+jacket&prodFamilyId=27927

Got one last year and it's perfect..... Sleeves will come off if need be and the whole things folds up into it's own bag if need be.... No wind or rain can get through because you adjust everything once you put it on...... I wear this is, a pair of long johns, use the plastic glove under the gloves trick, and a face mask that covers my mouth/nose and the only thing that gets cold is my feet...

I was just looking at that one. I don't need anything too extreme. I won't be riding in the rain, but I do want something that's at least "water resistant". This might be the best option so far for the money, I'm sure I can come up with a 10% off coupon code also.

I was just looking at that one. I don't need anything too extreme. I won't be riding in the rain, but I do want something that's at least "water resistant". This might be the best option so far for the money, I'm sure I can come up with a 10% off coupon code also.

My ARC jacket came the other day along with the matching pants, for the money they both seem to be really good quality. Fit is nice and the materials all seem very durable, probably will only use the jacket in temps below 45 or so but the pants are nice in general for wet riding. The pants are over the boot with inner liners that tuck into the top of the boot to keep out the water, if my KTM ever comes in I will post up my feedback from riding in them.

I have 2 Klim inversion jackets. Exremely water repellent, tough fabric and has removable sleeves if needed.

3249inversiongraylkp2.jpg

Mine are both black and I have worn it through absolute mudfests and what not...hose off, wash and drip dry and you can wear it as an sportcoat to dinner. Best $199 I have spent on a jacket and my first one is nearing 5 yrs old and still looks absolute new!

Edited by MX813
added price