Sign in to follow this  

Cratered Left case cover. Should have used protection?

Cratered my left case cover on my 08 CRF 450R. Shifter punched a perfect shifter profile hole in it. Not only did it cost me $150 for a new left case cover and new shifter, but I? lost valuable riding time and my riding buddy lost riding time while towing me back to camp.:bonk:

Would something like a light speed carbon case guard prevent the case cover from being punctured?

Does anyone make a clutch cover or clutch cover wrap that will help prevent shifter and back brake lever from puncturing the oem case covers?

Does anyone have experience with case cover guards?

I dont want to spend upwards of $150 bucks and lost riding time if I can spend $55 on a case cover guard and prevent punctures.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Edited by cleaner1

I've never heard of a punture like that. Probably why aftermarket companies don't offer a selection.. I have seen brake snakes that keep the brake pedal from getting twisted around. Found mostly among woods riders. It's a cable that connects the end of your pedal to the frame. Hope this helps

I've done this before as well. I have found that the aftermarket billet clutch covers are much stroger than the stock cast ones. Brake snakes only help keep the pedal from being pulled out away from the case, they don't help keep the pedal from being bent into the case unfortunately.

That is a pretty common problem on CRF’s, I have seen it happen twice. It happened to a riding buddy of mine. He fabricated a 1/8 aluminum plate that he epoxied to the flat part of the cover below the clutch. He also ran his shifter a notch lower. That way when the shifter gets smashed against the cover, the aluminum plate spreads the hit over a larger area. He never had any other problems breaking the covers.

CoKTM

Carry some QuikSteel or JBWeld, patch it up, ride it back in.

DSC05180-XL.jpg

Thats almost exactly what my case cover looked like. Not a good look.:bonk:

I've done this on my off road bikes. It's a piece of truck bed mat. It's saved my cover countless times.

Shift2.jpg

XRshifter.jpg

does that help also keep the lever from bending when you crash? because i hate it when my lever gets pushed up against the case and it gets stuck in the middle of a shift...:bonk:

does that help also keep the lever from bending when you crash? because i hate it when my lever gets pushed up against the case and it gets stuck in the middle of a shift...:bonk:

Yes, it does that too.

I've never heard of a punture like that. Probably why aftermarket companies don't offer a selection.. I have seen brake snakes that keep the brake pedal from getting twisted around. Found mostly among woods riders. It's a cable that connects the end of your pedal to the frame. Hope this helps

It's extremely common on both sides of the CRF450R/X.

There are several aftermarket guards for the shifter side, and for the brake side you just grind off the inside teeth, and add a strip of Teflon or old tire.

You should NEVER ride without the tools required to get you back, unless you ride closed course.

It's extremely common on both sides of the CRF450R/X.

There are several aftermarket guards for the shifter side, and for the brake side you just grind off the inside teeth, and add a strip of Teflon or old tire.

You should NEVER ride without the tools required to get you back, unless you ride closed course.

I would not trust JB weld to fill the hole (the size that was in my left case cover) and hold the blood of my bike. I can only imagine what woud happen if the temp JB weld fix did not hold while trying to get back to the truck. Not only would I be out a case cover and shifter, I would be out a unnecessary engine rebuild and more wasted down time.:smirk:

If I were in a extreme remote are and a potential life threating situation, of course I would try the JB weld fix. My bike is not worth my life or a riding buddies life.

I am thankful that the vast majority of mature dirt bike/off road riders have an abundance of common sense.:bonk: