Sign in to follow this  

Looking to learn Valving and such

i have some expirence doing fork seals and springs. id love to be able to revalve my own bike. im looking to see if there is good literature on how to. I saw a thread on there about race techs suspension bible. im gonna order that up.

is that gonna lean me in the right direction? if anyone would have any other suggestions it would be greatly appreatly appreated.

btw im aware that im gonna need to invest in special tools like seal drivers and a nitro inflater gauge and many others. its just gonna make this addicting hobby alittle more pricy:thumbsup:

Unfortunately there isn't much published literature out there on how to valve and the theory behind it. The Race Tech Suspension Bible doesn't exactly tell you how to valve, but it does teach you the basics about damping, spring rates, etc. along with pictures on how to service forks and shocks.

The best source that I can recommend on learning how to valve is the thread started by theDogger in the CRF450R forums. The thread is a sticky and its titled something like "DIY 450 Suspension Revalve" or something like that...cant miss it. It is about 170ish pages long so it will keep you busy for a while, but it is rich in information. There are also many threads here in the suspension forum that are helpful.

As far as tools, you don't exactly need a lot of them, just your basic wrench and socket sets, fork cap wrench, damper rod holder, a vise, bench grinder or file, etc. As far as the nitrogen stuff goes, unless you have other uses for it, I personally would hold off before investing the money for it just in case the revalving stuff isn't for you, or you find that it isn't something you do as often as you had planned.