Sign in to follow this  

2006 250 X Suspension

I'm 6' and about 210 with riding gear and full camelback. I set the sag on my bike but I wasn't fully geared up, so its a little off. The suspension is stock and it seems that I've lost a little of the upper bit of travel in my fork. No leaks.

Any ideas of what to check? I've never even turned the clickers....

I'm pretty sure the stock springs are too soft for my weight but not sure. Presuming so, what fork springs and shock springs should I have for my weight and where is a good place to get them without paying a fortune?

Also, do I need any special tools to install the fork springs? I've never tried messing with a fork tube.

Thanks.

The stock springs are way too light for your weight.

Check with other owners for a suspension shop that specializes with the type of riding you do and knows the X. It's a different animal to tune and MX shops that tune R suspensions make a shambles of the X.

As far as tools are concerned, the fork cap wrench should be all you need to change springs that's specialized. Regular hand tools will do everything else.

Tbh by the time u bought the tools needed to strip and build let alone the time it would take you to and if you dident cock it up,your better getting the forks rebuilt like i did with the correct springs, oil,stacks by a pro.It really really is the best money you will EVER spend cant stress that enough:thumbsup:But do the shock at the same time:ride:

I agree w/ Speedy:smirk:. DO NOT TRY TO REBUILD THEM YOURSELF, especially when you've never even turned a clicker or know what those do. Thats one of the 1st things you should've learned about setting up your bike is playing w/ the compression and rebound clickers, along w/ setting your sag. By the time you wasted on buying the parts, tools and time spent tryn to learn as you go, and end up probably putting it together wrong anyway, you could've spent $114 for 2 fork springs and maybe $100 to be installed by a pro and have perfect forks, set up right!:bonk:

My suspension tuner was just telling me the other day that since the economy went to shit, he was having more and more people bring in suspension not to get it re-sprung and re-valved, but to fix and make right what people have messed up tryn to install themselves just to save a buck, and it ends up costing more money and time:cripple: 1 guy died because he put his shock on wrong, bike fell apart at 80:ride:

Well....I talked to a good suspension guy and he can do it, but it seems to me that putting a spring on the rear shock is a snap. How do you mess that up?

I've seen springs on ebay but not sure which would be right?? I don't know if I'd ever run across the right ones for me...hence my inquiry as to where to get them.

I was hoping I could get the hard parts relatively cheap (if I knew which ones to get) and then, at a minimum, have the guy install them. He has suggested an oil change, replace the seals and revalve while I'm at it but I'm not sure I want to invest that much $ right now.

He told me previously that the Showa fork wasn't the one to learn on but we were talking changing the oil, seals and revalving so I was hoping that all I'd have to do to get the springs right would be to pull off the fork caps or something simple and drop in a new spring without messing with seals, valves and such. Is it alot more involved than that?

As far as the clickers, I'm not quite as dumb as it might have sounded....I have adjusted the clickers on my mountain bike's fork and shock and I understand what they do, but never felt the need to mess with the dirt bike.

Go to the "Calculator" for spring rates and it will spit out the proper rates for the front and rear. Be honest on your ability, weight, what kind of riding you do. Man, I would've messed with my clickers before anything, I always do when I get a bike, and I do every time I ride. It makes all the difference in the world in your riding, confidence to hit obstcuals and your speed...:bonk:

Look in your manual and put the rebound and compression on the stock settings. Then from there, just play with the compression clickers to make the bike harder or softer feeling to your liking. The stock rebound settings are actually really good. I've left mine on them, but have adjusted the compression many diff times depending on where I'm riding that day or if I'm riding fast or slow...

RACETECH

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Honda/CRF250X/2007

Its so cheap to get your forks re-sprung by a professional, you spend no time and its just a better idea IMO to go that route. My suspension tuner made a good point the other day:prof:, yea sure you could probably "get by", by changing out your springs yourself, but when you start getting in there, you don't have the experience to know what else is may be worn out and needs to be fixed, cleaned or replaced:doh:

Yep changing spring in the rear aint hard but thats not all they will do to it.There are two lots of oil in showa forks and tbh its a pain im told to change both.Dont get me wrong watch a few vids and read up onit and im sure you could change all the parts needed.BUT you wont have the years of doing it and setting them up let alone fault finding IF maybe a seal doesnt seat or a part is worn but to you looks fine.Just go to work for few extra hours to pay for a pro to do the monkey work for you:smirk:

Its so cheap to get your forks re-sprung by a professional, you spend no time and its just a better idea IMO to go that route. My suspension tuner made a good point the other day:prof:, yea sure you could probably "get by", by changing out your springs yourself, but when you start getting in there, you don't have the experience to know what else is may be worn out and needs to be fixed, cleaned or replaced:doh:

You must be a brother from another mother i was writing the same thing:smirk:

Dont no who you talking about ,but im far from a batty boy:smirk:I have never had my sh.t pushed in:moon:

Hold on goon whats that on the back of your shoe?

OOOO sailer:p

Ok goon seen ur first post:lol:Yep they def look like a coulpe of lolly lickers:banghead:

Brother not lover:smirk:

If a spring swap on the rear shock is all you want to do at this point it isnt that big of a deal and there is no oily mess involved. To replace the springs in the front forks is more involved but if you can replace fork seals the springs are easy to replace at that point also. Its really a matter of deciding if you want to pay someone, or need additional internal work done or want to learn to do it yourself. Probably wont be the same answer for everybody but imo it sure is a time and money saver if you can do it yourself. Also there is alot of good information especially in the suspension forum about how to do this.

yea i tried to do my own rear spring and didnt realize that there is a clip at the bottom so i ended up taking it to Full Travel Innovations. With that said i didnt see the installation video till after i had already screwed it up but probably it would be smarter to get someone else to set it up

That bike came with .42 front and 4.8 rear springs. You should have .46 front, and 5.4 rear. It sounds backwards, but the bike will be more plush and ride smoother with the right springs.

Bring your forks over to my house in Aurora, and I'll show you how to change the springs, fork oil, and you'll leave with much better suspension. I have both of the stiffer spring rates here, take offs from a 450R.

I may even show you my magic re-valve secrets for the forks. I've done a bunch of them.

• Like 1

Few people over here have taken the stock 450r springs:thumbsup:The x rides like a pillow with standard suspenson.I use k-tec springs here in the uk:thumbsup:

• Like 1