Sign in to follow this  

fork swap

ok my dad is inquiring about fork swaps so i told him i would post up here and see what i can find out. he has a 1995 xr250r and is wanting to upgrade the suspension. where to start? what to do? what swaps and what doesn't? what trees work? any and all advice appreciated. :bonk:

96+ XR250 forks are bolt on and use cartridge damping for a big improvement. Existing front wheel and brakes will fit.

If you go with others, including USDs, you will also need the triples and front wheel. And stem bearings may be an issue.

I have a front end off my 2001 that will bolt on if you want it Ill sell it cheap. forks, triples, wheel.

more expensive ($~400-up) is a crf250/450 or cr125/250 swap. requires machining, conversion bearings, or a new stem.

my xr250 2001 forks

IMG_20111207_130110.jpg

2001 cr125 forks

IMG_9693.JPG

The 95 has cartridge forks already.

Those later models have the same internals as the 95 and are a bit shorter overall.

Maybe consider XR 400 forks, an easy mod quite commonly done or

CR 125/CR250 forks

The shock can be modified to give a few mlls more stroke and a bit more travel to balance the taller front end

The 95 has cartridge forks already.

Those later models have the same internals as the 95 and are a bit shorter overall.

Maybe consider XR 400 forks, an easy mod quite commonly done or

CR 125/CR250 forks

The shock can be modified to give a few mlls more stroke and a bit more travel to balance the taller front end

For the US, don't know about Honda models in other countries, the redesign for 96 included a new cartidge fork so I checked the part fiche and the 95 looks like a damper rod fork. Also checked Racetech and they also show a damper rod fork for 95 and a cartridge for 96.

Be careful with CR forks, most are damper rod not cartridge, use Racetech website for guidance. If the Gold Valve kit begins with "FE" they are damper rod forks using an "emulator" kit.

i d say wheel, clamps and sticks for 250 - 300 is a great deal... lots of forks on ebay for about 130 alone... a good wheel is worth 120 all day... sold my excel wheel for an xr4 for about that... fork is still here... can bear to sell it for just over 100 bucks...