98 380

Found a good deal on a 98 380 not sure if exc or mxc. I have ridden a 360 briefly, and the pv was not hooked up. Part of me thinks that I need a little more grunt. A 380 definatly would have that. I know its a bit older then my 250. Is there anyone out there in the internets who has ridden both older 250 and even older 380 that has an opinion on me making the swap. The 380 looks real clean and had the head done already.

I've had a few 380's five total 98, 00, & 01 years. The 380 is going to be a lot more bark than the 250. The 98 is the crazy one;) There is no compression relief in the cylinder so they are a bit harder to kick over. Also, the 98 is the only year of the 380 with the cable clutch. 98 & 99 had the 50mm marcozzi shocks. Fun bike. Go get it and flog it.

Joe.......

So did folks do head work to clean up jetting or help starting. Or both. I like the single track stuff and dunes. How do the big guys handle the single track vs my newer 250. Were the cable clutches ok. I should have some extra coin so could I make the motor more managable? Looking for more grunt then hit. those forks are supposta be the best rightside up forks? Than

ks for your info. Dang choices.

I have a 2000 380 MXC, and ride mostly single track. Down low in the RPM range, it's mellow and easily controllable. Nothing wild or unpredictable. Smooth power.

Get it past half throttle, and it flat out tears. Eats up 250's and 450's for lunch and comes back for seconds.

It also guzzles gas like a payday sailor guzzles booze on his first shore leave in 6 months. VERY thirsty bike. Have the IMS 3.4 gallon tank, and thankful that I do.

50 mile rides are within range with that tank, but I'd hate to venture far from the fuel can with a 2 gallon tank.

I've had it in dunes ONCE (not alot of dune opportunities up here) and it was a riot there.

I loved my 380's for the tight stuff. Many trips to the Gifford Pinchot on my 380's. They will grunt and lug all day long. While I would like to tell you the cable clutch is not a big deal I love the hydraulic clutch models but if the deal is right I would not let it stop you. I tried the 50mm forks, 43mm, and even the 48mm on my 380's. In the end I was happy with the 43mm forks. However, I did not give a whole lot of time to the 50mm forks and there are those that say they are the shizzle. I hear plenty talk about what a pain the 380 is to jet but I never had any problems, ever. I would not worry much about the head for now. The big issue I see with the 380 is the crank. The OEM crank is $1000. Pull the flywheel cover and look for oil. Check the tranny oil. You want to know if the crank seals are going, if they are it is a sign the crank is on it's way out,, might just need new seals but that is a $1000 gamble I don't want to take;)

Joe.......

I rode a 98 380 EXC til 06. Then I bought a 300. I raced the 380 in the desert and did rather well.. I actually prefer the 300 to the 380.. The 300 is smoother down low, the 380 would pull very low, but then just choke and die if you got too low.. I ran PC pipes on mine, as they seem to pull stronger through the range and over rev more than the stocker.. 98 was the first year of the PDS system and the shock was recalled at least once. IMO the 98 forx are some of the best off road forks ever installed on any dirt bike.. I still have a pdf copy of my owners manual..