Sign in to follow this  

'09 yz250f triple on '05 yz125?

Hello All,

I am swapping my 2005 yz125 triples to accommodate oversized bars and stabilizer.

I have searched endlessly on triple clamp swaps between years and haven't really found what I'm looking for.

I found a decent deal on 2009 YZ250F triple clamps and, since, found some other information contrary to what I originally knew.

Will 2009 YZ250F triple clamps fit a 2005 YZ125 with stock '05 125 forks?

My concerns are that the '09 clamps are a couple mm wider than '05. Since the later model YZ forks supposedly have additional material on the inside at the axle to make up for it, would this pose a GAP problem between fork and wheel spacer using 2005 forks?

The other issue is axle/spacers and caliper issues. Folks swapping into later model forks and triple clamps have needed to search for later model axles which are longer and calipers which mount up differently. Using the 2005 caliper, will there also be a couple mm difference from stock? Would the caliper gap be solved by a proper size "washer" between it and the fork leg?

Trying to wrap my head around the different opinions I've read about.

Thanks in advance :bonk:

If I were you I would look around for a used top clamp made for an 04 or 05. Tag T-2's are really good but so are a lot of others.

I put 06 clamps on my 04 with no problem. There is enough axle material where the right fork clamps to handle the difference, I think it is only 2mm. No spacers needed.

Excellent research, jakeroo7! :busted::bonk:

Okay, we know the distance between the fork legs changed in 2006 when Yamaha went to a 2mm wider triple clamp.

You can swap in a '09 triple clamp and not notice any gapping at the wheel spacers because the axle will just slide in the right fork leg to take up the distance.

And I think the caliper would accommodate a 1mm misalignment to the disc, so you may not read anything wrong there.

Older threads show people have made the switch without problem.

But this does not necessarily mean the wheel is now centered between the fork legs.

We know in 2006 the lower legs were changed to accept the new-style fork guards, but the '05 & '06 YZs still share the same front wheel spacers (5NY-25183-00-00 & 5NY-25186-00-00). :smirk:

So it could very well be that while Yamaha was reworking the axle bosses for the new guards, they also added 1mm to the inside of both axle bosses to make up for the difference in the wider triple clamp.

We may never really know until someone actually takes measurements, but that would seem to make the most sense.

If this is the case, to make a 2005 front end (fork & wheel) fit centered with the wider 2006 & up triple clamps, you would need an additional 1mm spacer on the brake side of the axle.

Maybe? :banana:

The difference in position of the wheel on an 06 fork vs an 05 is 2mm. When they changed the spacing of the clamps, they did NOT add material to the inside of the axle lug as some have speculated. The lug is offset 2mm . They did not change the location of the caliper holder though, thus the rotor ends up spaced 2mm further towards the center of the wheel. I suspect the caliper holder on the 06 and later is thicker by 2 mm but do not have one to verify this. Washers can handle this difference. To use the 06 and up clamps you need an additional 2mm spacer for the brake side, 2mm washers for the caliper holder and an axle from an 06 and later to enable the axle to fit flush on the non brake side.

To go the other way, that is putting 06 (SSS) forks on an 05, all you have to do is grind 2mm off the brake side wheel spacer. Everything will fit like it came from the factory. And yes the wheel is then centered provided that the wheel is laced properly. I did this conversion last month. I took all the measurements before and after I did it.

The difference in position of the wheel on an 06 fork vs an 05 is 2mm.
So Yamaha changed the position of the wheel? Sorry if I seem a little dense here, but I would think they would want to keep it right on the centerline of the bike. :smirk:
When they changed the spacing of the clamps, they did NOT add material to the inside of the axle lug as some have speculated. The lug is offset 2mm.
Since the '06 & up triple clamps are 2mm wider, that means each fork leg was moved 1mm outboard.

If the brake side lug was offset 2mm inboard, wouldn't the wheel now be moved 1mm too far?

Or have I missed something?

Appreciate the investigative work, Budlite! :bonk:

Ok, thank you guys!

CaptDan and SteveE, you both mentioned the axle would slide through further. Regarding the '06 axle, do you know if the clamping area on the non-brake side is longer (1mm) or if just the main shaft longer? I would imagine yamaha would have made each area longer by 1mm based on what Budlite is saying.

Budlite, in '06, if the front wheel is actually NOT centered -- It would be only 1mm to the right since the clamps are 2mm wider (1mm each side) and no change to the non-brake-side (left) axle boss? This is why I wonder if the '06+ axle is 1mm longer at the RIGHT clamp area AND main shank...to keep the wheel centered and provide enough threaded material for the axle nut.

If this is correct, with the '05 forks, the wheel would be 1mm to the LEFT of center if no additional spacers are used. Not sure how much this would affect handling, worst case scenario is cut and sand down an old wheel spacer to make a 1mm "addition" for the brake side and allow the axle to pull into the RIGHT clamp by 1mm. OR use 1mm addition to wheel spacers each side and 1mm washers between caliper and mounts, using an '06+ axle.

Am I on the right track?

that's funny... CaptDan, I was out in the garage after reading everyone's posts, removing the front wheel to visualize and looking up bike bandit schematics. when I came back I just posted, not seeing your last entry. I think we are on the same wavelength as far as 1mm offset. I would put money on yamaha lengthening the right side clamping area of the axle as well as the main shaft.

Bike bandit part numbers (not OEM part numbers, mind you) show:

'09 YZ125, 250F, & 450F axles and wheel spacers are all the same.

'05 YZ250F & 450F axles and wheel spacers are the same but the 125's are different.

I'm going to venture a guess that if I did get an '09 axle AND spacers, i would be one step closer to keeping the wheel centered, needing 1 less wheel-spacing washer.

THANK YOU ALL for your input, measurements, and conversation!

Edited by jakeroo7

Yamaha didn't reposition the wheel relative to the centerline of the clamps as far as I know but they did move it 2mm relative to the brake side fork tube and the caliper mounts, not 1 mm like you would expect. You can measure this yourself if you have both forks. I do and I did the measurements. I also double checked (before and after) the dimension of the tubes relative to the center of the rim. As far as the widths of the axle lugs, the 05 and 06 forks measure identically so the clamping areas are the same.

Edited by Budlite

I guess my tape measure is wrong...huh ?
LOL!

Man, this has my brain all twisted!

I have access to an '05 YZ125. I'll try to match it up with our '06 and see what shakes out.

Jake, the '08 & up YZs (& Fs) have a different right side lower fork leg that nessitates the use of a different axle and spacer, so those numbers don't really relate to your '05 fork or '09 triple clamp. Just consider the '09 clamp same as '06.

Just trying to keep things simple. :bonk:

Great to know, I really appreciate it. I have the '08 axle on the way with wheel spacers included (i know now, not same as '06). I will measure it out to see if it's going to work.

My brain's twisted now too... especially with the whole wheel-centering thing.

At any rate,

Thanks a lot!! You guys have been such a big help!

This is definitely a cheaper route to go for me. I will be able to upgrade to oversized bars and fit the newer style front fender without having to drill holes in it each time I replace one :bonk:

Edited by jakeroo7

Yamaha didn't reposition the wheel relative to the centerline of the clamps as far as I know but they did move it 2mm relative to the brake side fork tube and the caliper mounts, not 1 mm like you would expect. You can measure this yourself if you have both forks. I also double checked (before and after) the dimension of the tubes relative to the center of the rim. As far as the widths of the axle lugs, the 05 and 06 forks measure identically so the clamping areas are the same.
In thinking about this, I bet I'll find everything is the same as you have found, Budlite, but at least I'll have the "hands-on" experience to help my brain understand it. :smirk:

Again, thanks for the thorough investigative work. :bonk:

Jake, lots of good info in this thread,,,

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10065052#post10065052

Edited by CaptDan

CaptDan, I believe I skipped over that thread in my search due to being for an '03 steel frame, but it was a good read. Thanks.

Great responses guys, thanks again... I'm just going to have to wait for parts now and put the work in to make the proper spacing. Hopefully that '08 axle will be fine. Time will tell. I can't even start to express how much I appreciate your input!

I have a 07 450 that does supermoto/mx duty. I have a set of 04 forks that are valved specifically for supermoto. Axle and spacers are the same. The difference being in the fork lug. With that being said I use to worry about proper spacing but it really doesn't matter. I just bolt on the 04 forks and go. The only thing you will notice is that the axle will set in a little farther. Not a problem at all. As far as the wheel being off center I don't notice any difference and riding on the pavement would magnify any issues so I don't think you will notice.

• Like 1

sweet, thanks, mikedabike... I'm sure if I don't have the time to cut down an old spacer to make it properly centered before I have to scratch the itch to ride, I will just ride it like I stole it and not notice anything.

Cutting down and smoothing out an old spacer shouldn't take all that long though. Eventually, if not right off the bat, I'll finish it correctly because I don't want the fact that the wheel is not centered creeping into my head while riding. Distractions are a b*%@ when you're clipping through trees at 40+mph!