Sign in to follow this  

450 sxf re-assembly Qs/wire routing

My '07 450 sxf has been in pieces for awhile due to engine rebuild from out-of-time cam (faulty tensioner?). Naturally, the first things I took apart are the hardest to remember for re-assembly. :banana::bonk: I am at last stages of re-assembly. I am putting the rear fender frame back on; it attaches to frame with 4 torx bolts.

Now I see my battery wires and relay hanging there wanting to go back home, but they're lost. :smirk: I just can't remember where the relay attaches, or how it feeds through the fender/air box area. the fender frame/airbox area seems solid with no obvious spots to feed through the wires.

I know this is simple, but I'm drawing a blank. thanks for any help.

ALSO, stay-tuned for more Qs as i get to the final, forgotten re-assembly stages. before all of this, we had custom fabbed a lower mounted battery box to accomodate a larger battery. the factory batt and one size up batt just wouldn't crank.

yeah, great idea. AND... as you disassemble, loosely screw fasteners back into their spots. I did that with several others, but did forget a few.

then you have correct length, location, etc...

my confusion on this one was from the battery wires still being connected to relay. there is a passage/slot on the left side rear plastic where the wires feed thru and then connect to the relay. the relay sits in the air box area, under the seat.

PERFECT!! Thanks. Your 3rd and 4th pics were great. Pic #3 shows that passage/slot I referred to, so I routed thru the right spot there. Pic #4 shows the relay attached to the side of the battery box. My tabs for the relay to attach to, broke off and I ended up routing the relay over to the right side, away from the air filter. Seems to tuck in better over there. Maybe I'll move it back now that I see your pics.

I'm not sure why they'd zap-strap the wires onto the air filter clamp. But there was a cut zap strap on mine, so it must have been how it was on there.

Glad they are of some help. need more let me know. Not in a hurry to work on my bike, need to get acl surgery done feb and not sure if I can ride or not next year.