Sign in to follow this  

taking the XR200R the LONG way

Iv never had trouble with my 83' XR200R and i'v heard that its one of the most reliable bikes out there but next year im planing with a few friends to make a ragtag run all the way to cabo from tecate and back. I know the 200 is a little on the small side for fast straight Baja roads but i can run 60-70MPH on my XR that's plenty for me.

My question is can the XR hold up wide open throttle high rev running all day long for days at a time without something breakin'?

I'v got a 14 point front sprocket so i aint reeving the hell out of the engine but never the less the XR200 is a trail bike and not a wideopen bike.

Using 14/47 gearing and 18" knobby at 70mph you will be over revved at 8500rpm with a lot of throttle. I doubt if the little R will last very long.

If you limit cruising speed to under 50mph the load on the engine will be about half that at 70mph and the engine speed will be a more reasonable 6000rpm.

im running 14\50 gearing

does anyone have a RPM/Gear/Tire size calculator?

so would about 6000 be the highest constant rpm the XR can hold?

There are various tire/gearing/rpm calculators on the web. Do a quick search and you will find a couple of them. Regardless, if you are even running 6krpms for long stretches I would add an oil cooler to your system. One of the nice little Pitbike ones would work fine. Do some testing to see what kind of lowered gearing the engine will pull at 50mph and see how it does. That is a small engine for that kind of loading.

Agree with Chuck, pull down the speed AND the rpms for reliability.

Swiss

Some feed back from XL185/200 owners on cruising speed would be better than my guesses. I just know from the little bit of time at higher speeds seemed like a heavy load on the engine.

The numbers in post #2 were from my gear ratio spreadsheet.

14/50 gearing is worst as it puts the engine above 9000rpm at 70mph.

I don't think you will have any problems with a stock xr200 with a little higher gearing. 14 T. front sprocket is about right. I would be cautious of gearing it to high. there are some fast sections in Baja but it's not like going down the freeway. I think you will hard pressed to go 70 mph at any time unless your a advanced rider. not only do to motor or gearing but other factors. like suspension and handling on snandy washboard roads, dust, traffic etc baja is not just wide open stuff I think you'll find that you need to be ready for all riding conditions.deep sand, mountain roads, stream crossings. A headlight if you get stuck after dark. The list could on and on. one thing I noticed was some oil usage on sustained high rpm rides so take a little extra oil and a extra air filter. and enjoy. Still some of the best times on a bike have been down in Baja.

Some feed back from XL185/200 owners on cruising speed would be better than my guesses. I just know from the little bit of time at higher speeds seemed like a heavy load on the engine.

My 83 XL200R when stock with 13/45 gearing and the 5 speed would top out about 62 reliably, put quite a few miles on her that way. Downhill and tailwind would get a few more mph.

I have since installed an XR200 6 speed with a little more compression and a little better cam but otherwise stock head. I have been able to go 14/45 and maintain the low end but still top out about 60. After that it just gets too buzzy, even with the XL's rubber mounted bars and pegs. It could be the heavier piston, the cam or the undersized carb but it seems to run out of rev's sooner.

I can't quote the exact ratios from memory but the top gear ratios between the 5 and 6 speed trans were pretty close, both mildly overdriven.

My 98 XR200R is all but street legal, with the stock motor and gearing. It doesn't have a speedometer, but I would avoid the 8 mile run into town at 55mph on that one. I would guess about 50mph on the fire roads for a few miles is what I feel comfortable with.

I have been known to swap front sprockets day to day depending on what my plans are. Years ago my bike got me to work Monday to Friday and tackled sandy Michigan single track on the weekends. It takes all of 10 minutes to swap cogs and adjust the chain, maybe you can plan your route accordingly.

Depending on whose dyno chart you look at the HP peak on a stock engine is between 7,000 and 8,500RPM. Max rpms on dyno charts between 9,500-10,000.

High speed cruise on a motorcycle takes a lot of horsepower, which is what XR200R lacks. I think long term or continuous operation at or above the HP peak with a high load will shorten engine life. I don't think continuous cruise should be more than 80% of maximum speed. Properly geared and in good condition a XR200 should be able to hit 65-70mph. Maybe you need to try lower gearing. If the bike will go 70mph then that puts the max cruise at 55mph.

@msgod I do a LOT of bajaing but iv been a Bajabug guy for the most part this is to by my first on bike:ride: and yea i keep a GOOD eye on the oil always and carry plenty, my airfilter is a K&N so i just clean it up and oil it every now and then

@Rooney140 I ride my 83' XR200R on the Hwy (in mex) and have put quite a bit of miles on it too (3k+) back and forth from town to my house and run usually 60-70 MPH and never had problems so yea the gearing cant be that bad but never the less i dont wanna blown engine in the middle of nowhere

@chuck4788 (aka XR god) To be exact i'm running a 4.50-18 tire and have the 14/50 gearing on a stock 83' XR200R at 55 i feel comfortable with the engine RPM but the MOST most iv gotten the little bike to gone a a straight level road is 80MPH(?!) P.S. taking these speed measurements from the stock XR speedo so i dunno how accurate that is

I've clocked more than 70mph on a GPS running a near stock engine with 13/49 and an 18" Trials tire (close to the 4.50x18), which may be close to your speedo readings. I calculated the rpm at 9300. I wouldn't want to run those speeds for an extended time because of the high revs and full throttle. Well maybe if I tucked in a bit.:bonk:

YMMV