Sign in to follow this  

Gen 3 dell taco tunning

I have this kit on a kx250f 2009 and I like it but I will like to improve the first part of the travel I mean the suspension feels really good but in the little small stuff is not that plush as I will like to.

Can this have to do something with the ics spring? I have the 14n spring and they also offer a 10n spring. or maybe the preload on the ics spring? or base valve?:bonk:

I think the midvalve is working good because it corners really well and it works good on the big hits

I have this kit on a kx250f 2009 and I like it but I will like to improve the first part of the travel I mean the suspension feels really good but in the little small stuff is not that plush as I will like to.

Can this have to do something with the ics spring? I have the 14n spring and they also offer a 10n spring. or maybe the preload on the ics spring? or base valve?:bonk:

I think the midvalve is working good because it corners really well and it works good on the big hits

IMO, I would take another look at the mid. You may need a slightly softer setting.

Maybe play with comp. stack on the mid. How does the rebound stack look?

jw

First I had

20.11x2

then try

20.11x3

and the best so far is

20.11x2

and after that all the regular setting if you like I can post the entire stack

I have the Gen 2 Dell Taco mid in my '06 YZ450, and had a similar problem. What we settled on in that case was adding a 11x.30 shim between the mid valve face shim and the second shim as an early crossover or delayed bleed, as you have in your 3rd example. "Lead in" was the term Dave applied to it. It was very successful in eliminating the small chop harshness.

HOWEVER, the Gen 3 in the KYB fork is different than my setup, and it has undergone a number of tweaks since it was introduced, and Dave may have something better for you than that. I'd suggest contacting him and seeing what he has to say. http://www.smartperformanceinc.com/CONTACT.html

maybe try something like a crf type base stack with a 26.1 cross over to give a tiny bit of bleed effect

eg 30.1(12)

etc

The kx250f has showa
My mistake for misreading. The Gen 3 has been more successful in the Showas, although the same concept is used in the "Dell Taco" for both forks. Dave would still be the one to ask about tuning it before altering it a great deal, IMO.

First I had

20.11x2

then try

20.11x3

and the best so far is

20.11x2

and after that all the regular setting if you like I can post the entire stack

IMO, the only thing left to do in the mid is go 20,11,20 and so on. Take a 20 out. Just a thought here what if you did a bleed shim 12,20,11.30,20,20?

jw

Ok the bleed shim maybe a good solution but where will it be better in the base as mog sudgested or in the mid?

Ok the bleed shim maybe a good solution but where will it be better in the base as mog sudgested or in the mid?

You can start at the base if you like. I had better results in the mid. I had too much blow through during my testing on the basevalve. Mog's idea is less radical than the 12,20,11,20,20 Imo. But a little base work maybe all you need. :bonk:

here is my offroad setup.

mid comp

20x.11

11x.30

20x.11

20x.11

18x.11

16x.11

14x.11

11x.25

11x.25

17x.30.

i then added a .50 to my stem so my stem height is now 7.8mm long.i also have added shims to the base of the inner spring so as to coil bind at ..55mm total lift(plus what the stack deflects of course.)

my base stack is

32x.11 15

30x.11

28x.11

26x.11

24x.11

22x.11

20x.11

18x.11

16x.11

14x.25 (note this thickness)

11x1.43

you need to add to the bottom of the small inner springs.these act with the spring when it hits coil bind.you must limit the del taco,s total lift.in stock setting it will always lift too far for me,no matter what preload i,ve run.

i limited my lift to a total of .55mm.so the 11x.30 acts for the soft intial movements and then once you encounter a forceful enough impact to lift the stack you need to limit it.it is kinda now acting as a variable float.

adding to the stem height just makes the stack lift a little sooner and because it has less preload i found it transitioned much smoother.once opened the spring force is the same no matter the preload,just less cracking pressure.but you must limit the total lift amount or it just falls thru the stroke as you have way too much lift and thus no resistance.

what you have described sounds like too much total lift.

it,s typical of any suspension setup,it all works together,you can skip certain steps in a setup but you will change the outcome.

i have tried at least 12 different deltaco setups.this last setup is by far the best.my mid will not be touched from here on.just need to add my bleed stack in.

all prior setups sucked.not until i limited the total blowoff could i start to actually tune the mid valve.prior to limiting the blowoff i had to tune the mid to prevent it from bleeding off too much high speed,all this did was add excessive lowspeed and so came back all the harshness at sloww choppy speeds.

this is a gen 2 setup.i,m not sure if dave has limited the total lift on the new stuff.limiting the lift and reducing taco spring preload was what alowed me to finally tune the stack to what worked--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is from another thread.it,s hard to tune the gen 2 taco until you limit the total lift.

here is my offroad setup.

mid comp

20x.11

11x.30

20x.11

20x.11

18x.11

16x.11

14x.11

11x.25

11x.25

17x.30.

i then added a .50 to my stem so my stem height is now 7.8mm long.i also have added shims to the base of the inner spring so as to coil bind at ..55mm total lift(plus what the stack deflects of course.)

my base stack is

32x.11 15

30x.11

28x.11

26x.11

24x.11

22x.11

20x.11

18x.11

16x.11

14x.25 (note this thickness)

11x1.43

you need to add to the bottom of the small inner springs.these act with the spring when it hits coil bind.you must limit the del taco,s total lift.in stock setting it will always lift too far for me,no matter what preload i,ve run.

i limited my lift to a total of .55mm.so the 11x.30 acts for the soft intial movements and then once you encounter a forceful enough impact to lift the stack you need to limit it.it is kinda now acting as a variable float.

adding to the stem height just makes the stack lift a little sooner and because it has less preload i found it transitioned much smoother.once opened the spring force is the same no matter the preload,just less cracking pressure.but you must limit the total lift amount or it just falls thru the stroke as you have way too much lift and thus no resistance.

what you have described sounds like too much total lift.

it,s typical of any suspension setup,it all works together,you can skip certain steps in a setup but you will change the outcome.

i have tried at least 12 different deltaco setups.this last setup is by far the best.my mid will not be touched from here on.just need to add my bleed stack in.

all prior setups sucked.not until i limited the total blowoff could i start to actually tune the mid valve.prior to limiting the blowoff i had to tune the mid to prevent it from bleeding off too much high speed,all this did was add excessive lowspeed and so came back all the harshness at sloww choppy speeds.

this is a gen 2 setup.i,m not sure if dave has limited the total lift on the new stuff.limiting the lift and reducing taco spring preload was what alowed me to finally tune the stack to what worked--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is from another thread.it,s hard to tune the gen 2 taco until you limit the total lift.

been there done that! your on the right track...its funny how the stuff me and russ figured out over a yr ago is finally being vindicated :bonk:

i might even try again on my new 500 xc-w if dave can come up with the old P4 dual bottoming system for the open cart wp's:ride:

I would try Mog's mid setup. Then if that don't work, for the small price of the other ICS springs, I'd try that.

Update:

I did not change anything on the forks and this gen3 is VERY sensitive to the rebound settings I had the reb at 12 clicks and went to 14 a lot worst then use 10 and it is a night and day difference they now handle the small stuff really well but I tried 8 to see how it will perform and it was bad again so I guess the rebound is critical for the blow off design.

I'm happy again!!! :bonk:

Is the Gen 2 a single spring and the Gen 3 the dual spring? If not, what is the difference between the two?

its funny how the stuff me and russ figured out over a yr ago is finally being vindicated :bonk:

:

:smirk::banana: