Sign in to follow this  

Kx85 need new chain info

04 kx 85

I need to get a new chain , which one and where can I buy it .(http.link if poss)

From what I gather stock rear sprocket has 50t , I see some running 52t .(MX & SX rider)

If I try 52t will the stock size chain fit or how does that work ??

Thanks for the help.(still learning)

Sorry I can't help with gearing suggestions. But, I've had great luck with Rocky Mountain MC's Primary Drive brand sprockets and chains. Do yourself a favor and replace them as a set. A new chain will wear prematurely with worn sprockets.

you just need a standard 120 link 420 pitch chain. if you had a big wheel you would need the 128 link i believe. we run a stock gearing,but its just a practice bike for him.

Ok, thanks ..

I'll check out Rocky M site ..

So there must not be much difference in rear sprocket size from a 50t to 52t ?

Same size chain (120 link) will fit both sprockets ? right ?

Not 100% anymore at what point you need to move to the longer chain, if it's only a couple bucks difference just get the longer one to be safe, they are easy enough to cut down using only basic tools anyways.

52 is borderline for the shorter chain...

with a 52, you may just have to run the wheel more forward in the swing arm. we normally run ours as far back as we can.

Thanks , I'm starting to get the picture ...

So is it worth trying a 52t sprocket if I have to buy 2 chains ?

Anyone running that gearing that think they won't ever go back to stock 50t spocket ?

SX and tight MX tracks are pretty much all we ride .

04 kx 85

I need to get a new chain , which one and where can I buy it .(http.link if poss)

From what I gather stock rear sprocket has 50t , I see some running 52t .(MX & SX rider)

If I try 52t will the stock size chain fit or how does that work ??

Thanks for the help.(still learning)

I use either the Renthal R1 Works chain or the DID 428NZ, master links interchange between these two chains. You might have to get it in the 130 links, the 120 might be too short (just count the links on it now) You can get it right from the TT store, link right to the DID chain:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=523

This is the Renthal link to the TT store:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2010/default.asp?p=542

Both of these are non oring chains (racing) if you want to trail ride, there is o ring versions also.

It really depends on the track, on short tight turned tracks, I'd run a 52T or a 53T with the rear wheel a forward as possible - It'll make the bike turn faster. Most open natural terrain tracks, I run a 51T or a 52T with the wheel as far back as It'll go.

The Kx's use a 420 chain, not the 428. Unless you replaced the sprockets with the conversion sprockets.

It really depends on the track, on short tight turned tracks, I'd run a 52T or a 53T with the rear wheel a forward as possible - It'll make the bike turn faster. Most open natural terrain tracks, I run a 51T or a 52T with the wheel as far back as It'll go.

The Kx's use a 420 chain, not the 428. Unless you replaced the sprockets with the conversion sprockets.

You are probably right. I was thinking of our KTM 85 and 105. If the option to upgrade is there, I'd do it, new chain means new sprockets anyway, do the upgrade. :bonk:

Ok , I think i'm gunna try a 52t or 53t rear .

If the stock chain is a 120 what size should I buy ? 126-130 ???

I get that if its to long I could always make it shorter, but I would rather not monkey with it if I don't have to.

I just buy the longer chain, (my son also races 100's) so it"ll fit either bike. We use the Pro Taper chain, part no. 023101 it's 134 links. :bonk: